Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / switching speed
- - By chickweldor (*) Date 12-08-2011 13:28
keep reading that a slow switching speed on auto darkening lens will leave you with sore eyes at the end of the day,is this true or a myth?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 12-08-2011 18:07
Hello chickweldor, it is more likely that an incorrect sensitivity adjustment for those hoods, so equipped, would result in some eye strain. Possibly even an incorrectly adjusted delay setting could contribute as well, again, for hoods so equipped. The sensitivity adjustment will decide at what level of arc or ambient light that a hood will switch, if this isn't correctly set you can end up with a "flash" instead of the switch to shade that should take place, can cause eye strain. Delay comes into play when you have intermittent arc flash such as possibly while carbon arc gouging, little or no delay in switching can possibly end up giving you a headache from the constant switching that might take place due to not having enough delay from the time that the arc is on and off, thus causing your hood to cycle back and forth rapidly from welding shade to light shade. The majority of electronic hoods do provide UV protection for the eyes even though you still see a "bright" light when a weld is taking place and the hood hasn't switched to welding shade. Hope this has somewhat answered your question. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-09-2011 03:40
I had heard of the problem back when they first came out, I think it may have been an issue with some of the cheap ones back then.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-09-2011 04:17
Some of the slowest are also among the most reputable and were among the first that developed the technology.  And, having used them, I have never suffered any eye strain.  The largest majority of currently available auto darkening lenses operate at an extremely faster rate than the original versions.  Having also used a few of them and having two on hand that I use almost everyday, I can say there is little risk of eye strain from their usage.

Most of those you would complain about eye strain are the same ones who tack without a hood, burn without proper cutting glasses, grind without safety glasses, etc.  It is hard to take seriously the complaints of those who don't use proper safety equipment as part of their regular work habits. 

You will find there are many 'wives tales' among all trades.  Especially when it comes to newer technology, you will hear all kinds of things.  Do your own research very carefully and you will come to the truth.  This forum CAN be a good place to weed out and separate truth from fiction.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
- By kandrwelding (*) Date 02-06-2012 00:31
The slight time delay on most hoods i have seen between fast and slow is something like 20,000 or 40,000 of a second so the way I see it if you strike 40,000 arcs in a day it might add up to a second. So no I don't think it matters so much I have looked at an arc for longer than that and did not have any kind of eye pain. IMO
- By saliviya jonath Date 06-02-2012 05:55 Edited 06-04-2012 06:17
This statement is incomplete and probably incomplete.If the device set up on which you are working is not installed properly then it will result you eye problem.Therefore it is always advise to use proper safety device while welding.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Safety / switching speed