Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / can you use a grinder on a welder qualification test???
- - By david bean (**) Date 12-09-2011 04:21
i am qualifying guys to d1.5, 3G 1 inch test plates. i told the guys they could us a grinder on the intermediate weld passes to avoid bridging the weld in some tight spots. the grave shift foreman had a fit and said grinders are not allowed!!!  i don't see anything in the code that prohibits it. tell me what you think???
Thanks,
DJ
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-09-2011 04:42
This question comes around often.  It will largely be determined by:
1) The code you are working to, (Yes, I understand you are working to D1.5)
2) The WPS's involved, (methods for interpass cleaning are specified)
3) The testing standards utilized by the company involved and/or required by the customer the work is being done for and their project requirements.

Not being familiar with D1.5 I cannot answer for that code.  D1.1 makes no such requirement.  But, as has often been pointed out, it can be advantageous to test to conditions that would preclude anything other than a chipping hammer and wire brush incase nothing else is available.  Others would also maintain that we are testing and hiring welders, not grinders. 

Hopefully other more knowledgable forum members will respond with better and more complete answers.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-09-2011 05:08
D1.5 prohibits the use of power tool for cleaning, slag removal, and grinding during the test. It goes as far as to say hand tools cannot be used to change the weld profile.

If you are administering performance tests, qualifying procedures, or inspecting to a code, you really need to become familiar with it first. If not, wear the egg with pride.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By david bean (**) Date 12-09-2011 05:36
yip gonna were the egg, i will qualify this guy to D1.1 and retest for D1.5 without the use of power tools!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-09-2011 14:22
I knew someone like Al or John, as well as several others here, would be able to give you a specific answer applicable to D1.5.  Probably could have found it be doing a 'Search' on this forum as well. 

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-09-2011 11:33
Hi Dave,
I don't have a current copy of D1.5 but in D1.5:2008 (I doubt that the verbage has changed much for 2010),
Under Clause 5.21.5 Weld cleaning. it reads....
"5.21.5.1 Chipping and Brushing. Cleaning between weld passes shall be limited to hand chipping and hand wire brushing. Power chippers or grinders shall not be used during the test. Upon weld test completion and after visual inspection, the weld may be made flush by power tools as necessary to facilitate testing.(see 5.26.1.1).
5.21.5.2 Root and Fill Pass Cleaning. Root or intermediate weld bead contours shall not be modified by chipping, grinding, cutting or other means before depositing subsequent weld passes."

Just thought that I would show you where to find it in case the welders ask in the future.

Good luck with your testing.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / can you use a grinder on a welder qualification test???