Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Manual Shearwave UT Acceptable?
- - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-14-2011 23:06
We have a Client that we are building a non-stamped vessel (under 15psig and non-lethal and 1/2"-5/8" thk) to ASME Section VIII Div 1.

Client has stated all welds in material ½ in. (13 mm) and greater in thickness may be examined using the ultrasonic (UT) method given the requirements of 7.5.5 of Section VIII, Div. 2.

Per these reqs,  my question is, "Is manual shearwave UT method acceptable?"

Thank you for your assessment and comments,
QCRobert
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 12-14-2011 23:31
So, you have a non stamped vessel ostensibly being built to Div 1 (though not Div 1) with a reference to UT in Div 2 (though not Div 2) and your asking if its acceptable.
Considering your spec is all over the place (and no place) and its who cares to ASME (since its not ASME) I'd say if the client says its acceptable its acceptable. :lol:
If there is a technical issue with the method then the code references are a distraction.
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-14-2011 23:40
BINGO!!!!:smile:

js55 wins first prize, lol!!!
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-15-2011 21:28 Edited 12-15-2011 21:32
I have a non stamped vessel ostensibly (apparently) being built to Div 1.   Yes designed & fabricated to Sec VIII Div 1 yet non-stamped.

I get the "who cares" and yes their spec is all over the place, and I have found my answer that shearwave is not acceptable per Div 2.

Thank you,
QCRobert
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 12-16-2011 12:57
Ah, now I understand better the intent of the question. You either did not have copy of Div 2 (until recently we didn't either since we are only now exploring the possibility of a program) or you were looking for an interpretation.
I still think there is an argument that when faced with such ad hoc confusion in specs the customer needs to clarify.
I would be curious however, (and perhaps we could use a Gerald to provide input here) why do you suppose Div 2. My first instinct is, given the scope of Div 2 there is an engineering belief that it would be more robust. And not saying that many engineering departments don't suffer from the same affliction, I am totally ignorant of Div 2.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Manual Shearwave UT Acceptable?