Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 55-gallon drum bbq grill and smoker
- - By Soldier Boy Date 12-10-2002 18:44
Does anybody have free plans/blueprints for making a bbq grill and smoker out of a 55-gallon drum?

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 12-11-2002 06:09
Most I've seen came straight from the head of the maker. Careful cutting that thing apart- drums are explosion hazards. If you use either torch or abrasive saw- at minimum take out the bungs put the air line in it and purge it out for twenty minutes or so then let the air keep running while you cut. Others who post here will say I'm nuts and only a CO2 or other inert purge is safe enough.
Bill
Parent - - By ScottV (**) Date 12-11-2002 07:16
I made one out off a large propane tank.It turned out great,much higher quailty than a drum.If you get to big it takes alot to it keep warm.I just marked out where the lid should be,and cut with my plasma.I purged it with water first then air.If you are worried about a explosion get some dry ice inside it before you cut.I used weld on hinges for the lid.It was the nicest smoker barbecue I have seen.When I was done with it I took it,and had it sandblasted to rid it of the smell.Which I should have done first.It was a whole lot more work than you would think it would be.Of course I got carried away.By the way I have welded gas tanks also.So a purge is good enough for me,but maybe not for you.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-11-2002 13:30
All the homemade cookers I've seen were as Bill said, right out of the old noodle. Be creative and you'll find lots of things to use as cookers. I like charcoal best, but propane is faster and not as messy. Sometimes the charcoal is worth the wait, for all that flavor it adds to them burgers and steaks.
John Wright
Parent - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 12-11-2002 16:01
Ah yes, real charcoal beats propane all the time. Some purists even go so far as to use only hardwood to grill. Too much work for me there. Just make sure you watch out for the platings when you cut or weld. They used some real nasties on drums, especially old ones.
Parent - - By jffluxcore (**) Date 12-15-2002 01:36
try www.lincolnelnelectric.com/community/projects/defalt.asp I saw a plan there. jim
Parent - - By dee (***) Date 12-15-2002 22:10
Had a top sergant at FSHTX asked for volunteers... he'd supply the wood if they'd build him a company picnic table... six guys stepped forward (not me- I had a date) and next day they found a carload of telephone poles and railroad ties dumped in the quad. It built a heckuva picnic table; it was still in use near twenty years after we erected it (I helped), and at the time it was a heluvarection.

Yah, there were some grill plans that went along with the table, too. It'd cook a whole steer. Used something like a 250 gal oil tank.

What can I say; it was Texas
d
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-16-2002 17:36
Soldier Boy,
Hows that cooker working out? We are all getting hungry waiting on this thing to get built.
John Wright
Parent - - By Soldier Boy Date 12-16-2002 17:48
I just bought 2 55-gallon drums. I will start on it during the Christmas Holidays. I will post a picture once I complete it.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-16-2002 17:52
Looking forward to seeing it!
John Wright
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 55-gallon drum bbq grill and smoker