Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Applicable Structural Welding Code in CuNi Plate in WPQR
- - By Nalla (***) Date 12-20-2011 12:35
Dear Experts

For Pipe- ASME Sect IX
1 - What is the applicable code for Welding Procedure Qualification using CuNi Plate Test Coupon?
2 - Can i use Pipe Test Coupon to qualify to ASME Sect IX and AWS D1.1(if it is the right code )?

What are the Mechanical Testing Required?  Pls advise. Thanks
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-20-2011 14:09
Point 1, You have partially answered your own question, ASME IX has provision for several CuNi alloys as a P-34 material.  Procedure qualification for pipe can be done on plate per QW-211
Point 2, If you are using D1.1 is intended as a code for carbon and low alloy steels.  You can use it for CuNi, if the Engineer approves such use.  (not sure why he/she would, but it can be done)

Figure 4.24(A) Performance and 4.25(A) Procedure in D1.1:2010 might be made to work with QW-463.2(d,e) Performance and/or QW-463.1(d,e) Procedure, in ASME IX:2010.  It seems like a huge pain in the a$$ to do so, given the number of specimens, different essential variables, etc, etc.  I think by the time you get done fooling around with it you could have run the 2 standard tests

FYI, for best answers on code questions, specification of the Edition year is important
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-20-2011 16:21
While it isn't impossible, it is difficult to mix two codes that are as different as AWS and ASME. They have diverging philosophies and different acceptance criteria and different dimensions for the reduced section tensile tests, and different essential variables. You have to tread carefully and make sure you address each code variable so nothing is missed. Even the ranges of thicknesses qualified can be different.

As noted, AWS D1.1 is intended for carbon and high strength low alloy steels. It can be applied to other materials only if the Owner's Engineer approves the use of unlisted base metals. Things like preheat listed in D1.1 would not be applicable to CuNi base metals. Therefore the Engineer would have to work his way through D1.1 and list those clauses that could be used without modification and he would have to modify or exempt the fabricator from those clauses not applicable. It would be a serious undertaking if done correctly.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Nalla (***) Date 12-20-2011 21:56
Dear Experts
Applicable Codes  need to be dealt with  are ASME Sect IX & AWS D1.1 Edition 2010
If AWS D1.1 applicable, pls advise reqd Mech Tests and acceptance criteria.
Yes, essential/supplementary essential variables has to be dealt with accordingly
I want to prepare simple tabulation on reqd Tests and corrosponding  acceptance criteria as shown in both codes.

What i'm going for is - Using 1 test coupon be it tubular/pipe/plate and quality it to AWS D1.1 & ASME Sect IX
Appreciate more detail info.

Once again Thanks for all advise.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-21-2011 06:23
Some of the work you describe has been done in a publication called: "PROFESSIONAL'S ADVISOR ON PROCEDURE QUALIFICATION"  Published by the American Welding Society.

The primary work, including many informative code cross reference tables was done by Ken Coryell. He is an SCWI and a person who I have studied under and hold in the highest regard.

The Professional's Advisor is not a silver bullet, but it is a very good tool in my opinion, for people who need to contrast AWS vs ASME codes for procedure  qualification...
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-21-2011 15:37
There is no substitute for doing the leg work for yourself.

While it is not easy to do a direct comparison between AWS D1.1 and ASME Section IX, it gets even more murky when you consider the applicable construction code(s). Remember, Section IX is not a stand alone document. The construction code may or may not alter the requirements and/or impose additional restriction of the WPS. Failure to review the construction code is like riding a canoe over Niagra Falls. It is going to hurt when you reach the bottom.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Applicable Structural Welding Code in CuNi Plate in WPQR