Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / preheating aluminum
- - By patriot (*) Date 12-21-2011 14:57
I am welding some 2" and 1/2" thickness6061T-6 aluminum with GMAW using 5556 or possibly 5356 electrode.  Any input for present temperatures?  I was planning on 250F to remove chill and condensation concerns.  Appreciate any help!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-21-2011 15:27 Edited 12-28-2011 21:44
6061-T6 is a heat treatable alloy. Its mechanical properties are affected by time at temperature.

While removing surface moisture is a fine idea if the plate is being moved from the outside where it is cold to the inside where it is warmer, the better idea would be to allow the plate to warm to ambient and dry naturally. Any preheat should be held to a minimum. This isn't steel, so the need to preheat is not necessary.

You will need much more amperage that expected if you are used to welding steel alloys. Aluminum has a very high coefficient of thermal conductivity which must be overcome by higher amperage. If the weld pool takes a long time to establish, you need more amperage, not preheat. As a matter of fact, with thick material that necessitates using many weld beads, you need to cool the plate between weld beads. Artificial cooling by blowing cool air will be a definite aid if you are interested in maintaining the UTS around 24ksi. You can consider cooling the adjacent base metal with water soaked rags between weld beads. I wouldn't recommend applying the wet rags directly on the hot weld. Do not use compressed air for cooling, most compressors are oil lubricated. Bad, bad, bad.

Good luck - Al
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-28-2011 16:05
Al,
not all air compressors are oil lubricated. Many of them are oil free. They have piston rings and connecting rods bushings made of poly carbon tetra fluoride and don't need oil lubrication. Patriot might check whether his compressor is oil lubricated or not.
Have a Happy New Year.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

PS. What's poly carbon tetra fluoride? Teflon (DuPont de Nemours' TM) is a well known brand
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-28-2011 21:47 Edited 12-29-2011 05:04
I revised my post to account for compressors that are not oil lubricated. Good point, but many welders wouldn't know if the compressors are oil lubricated or not. "Danger Will Robinson."

Happy New Year Giovanni.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-28-2011 22:41 Edited 12-28-2011 22:43
Will Smith

And Will Robinson

Just sayin Al  :)
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-29-2011 01:03
Bravo Lawrence!

Dang Al   "..but many welders wouldn't know if the compressors are oil lubricated or not."

Even I can read a label.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-29-2011 05:02
Darn, they look so much a like.

Al
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 12-29-2011 01:22
I am a little alarmed by the term "condensation concerns."   I think that the "condensation concern" may be a little overblown.  When steel or aluminum shows condensation coming out of the pores in the metal it shows that there is still some shelf life left in the base metal.  The metal is still moist.  Who wants some old dried out metal?!?!?!?
Parent - By mcostello (**) Date 12-29-2011 03:15
When the moisture stops coming out, is that when the rust starts?:)
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / preheating aluminum