Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Essential variable
- - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-21-2011 17:39
Stumped and no reference material. Ceramic backing an essential variable? Reading a PQR in the field that states "with or without"
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 12-21-2011 19:30
what code and what edition
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 12-22-2011 16:38
ASME...but home now with IX...thanks!
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 12-22-2011 16:51
For ASME IX, backing is an EV for performance but not procedure.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 12-27-2011 15:52 Edited 01-07-2012 18:31
I see you are a welding instructor as well as a CWI. I suppose you may be qualifying welders and procedures for your school or clients. If that is the case, you need to go further than simply meeting the requirements of Section IX. Yes, you need to purchase copies or at least have access to the applicable construction codes. My advice is "Don't stop with Section IX".

Always ask the question, "What construction code is applicable?"

Remember, Section IX is not a stand alone document. The construction code can and often will modify the requirements of Section IX. For example, when impact testing is required, it is the construction code that stipulates when it is required. When working to B31.3, different piping categories impose additional requirements such as the need for qualifying the base metal based on specification, not just P-number and group number, welders have to be qualified by guided bend testing, etc.

Just because the WPS/PQR or the performance test report says the procedure or the welder is qualified to Section IX does not mean the documentation is applicable to the actual project.

I often have to reject welding documentation because the contractor or the laboratory didn't take into consideration the requirements of the applicable construction code.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-05-2012 10:58
Dear friend,
In order to minimize the time searching the standards, in performance testing, you can just consider that what activity makes the welding harder. You know if it makes the performace more difficult, so it's essential variable for a welder test. For instance the deletion of backing needs more attantion and maniplation, therefore it's EV.
Best regards
Ehsan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-06-2012 19:41 Edited 01-07-2012 18:30
Just read your post once again. You stated that the PQR listed "with or without"?

The PQR has to list what was actually done when the procedure was qualified.

By PQR, did you mean say Welder Performance Qualification Record in which case WPQR would be an appropriate way to distinguish between a Procedure Qualification Record (PQR) and the Welder Performance Qualification Record (WPQR).

Not trying to nit-pick, but trying to figure out which one pertains to your question.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-07-2012 08:14
Dear Al,
Thanks for your post, I just tried to describe the difference between PQR and WPQR. I know it's a little incomplete, I had to describe more. Anyway thank you for your kind attantion. I'll pay more attention.
Best Regards,
Ehsan
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Essential variable