Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Dimensional Tolerance of Welded Structural Members
- - By Richie Date 12-22-2011 19:13
Section 5.23.2 calls for the "No. of ft of total length" as part of the formula for figuring straightness tolerance. Does that mean the length of the entire beam or any given section of the beam? Is the intent of the code to allow for measuring just the bowed section of the beam or is it to use the entire length of the beam?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-22-2011 19:44 Edited 12-22-2011 19:50
Dimension tolerance is for the total length of the beam. ie. 1/2" camber in 40ft....1/2"

1/8" times (40 feet divided by 10)

or 1/8" x 4 or 1/2"
Parent - - By Richie27 Date 12-23-2011 00:17
Does anyone know of an AWS or AISC publication that defines what "total length" means?
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-23-2011 12:00
I have always used the total overall length. 
I woulnd't go making it harder than it is.
Length is length, one end to the other.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-23-2011 15:14
If I may Chris, 

I believe the question is to rather the length is 'straight' or 'follows the arc'.  In this particular case I don't believe there will be a significant difference. 

In the majority of cases you would want to reference the drawings/details and see if you are talking center line of beam following the 'arc' and end to end OR if you are talking about the 'chord' which would be straight across regardless of how long the beam itself was from end to end.

The only reason to really consider this is to make sure your curved/radius beam is long enough to do the job BEFORE you set the camber/radius to it.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Dimensional Tolerance of Welded Structural Members