Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cushman restoration
- - By grizzzly (**) Date 12-25-2011 02:48
I am working on a old Cushman ice cream truck. The project was started about thirty years ago, the body was sand blasted then used for storage every since.

The first problem is a cut on sheet metal that had been welded than bondoed over and then it rusted

i think it was welded from inside the body

I am wondering if any one has any ideas on how to weld this with out warping it.
it also has several 1/2 inch drill holes that i need to fill
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 12-25-2011 22:05
i would say silicon bronze mig wire.
Parent - - By grizzzly (**) Date 12-27-2011 05:18
i am going to have to try that stuff some time but for now all i have is stick and TIG
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-27-2011 06:35
The "best" way to do that kind of sheet repair in my opinion would be to cut out all of the corroded metal and tig weld in a patch.... The trick is to know where to skip weld and when to stop with the hammer and dolly and go ahead and apply filler.

I'm not a big fan of GMAW for this kind of body work.. Mig welds cool faster and this makes a noticable difference when you bring out the hammer and dolly.. Gas welding makes the most "hammerable" or softest welds, but there is also increased distortion.. GMAW distorts the least but is harder to work with.. GTAW is right in the middle.

Shaping patches is an artform in itself.. My partner was trained by Ron Covell and Ron Fournier and has partnered with Brian Fuller..  I have watched these amazing guys for a couple years now... I scrap a bit of metal but really enjoy the work.

Covell has some affordable videos, the "Building a fender from scratch" vid is right up your alley...  He is *not* a welder so I don't endorce the welding vids even though Miller does  :)      His metal shaping stuff is about the only stuff out there and he shares secret knowledge that the Orange County cobblers ought to look into  :)

Edit:  Oops  I forgot the link
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-27-2011 06:49
"Orange County Cobblers"

Better watch out, the big old guy might kick Your a$s...:eek:
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-27-2011 09:14
I bet he is better at a$$ kickin than bike building  ;0)
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-28-2011 01:57
It has been a long time since I saw that show, but it seemed to Me they used mostly mass produced parts.

Does King have a line of bike parts ?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-28-2011 04:33
Who is King?

Is that the name of the Orange county guy?

I made the same observation you did..  Frames, wheels, forks, and most tanks are all off a rack..

When there is some custom metal work it is usually strictly forming with very little shape.

While Jessee James is not very popular socially right now.. He has been building stuff with real craftsmanship, including blacksmithing, power hammers/Pullmax type stuff.  Scratch raw metal to a bike..  Much more interesting in my opinion.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 12-28-2011 04:52
King I refered to is King Arcitectural Metals. The offer loads of cheap parts for cut & glue "wrought iron" work.

I can't remember the Orange County guy's name right now.

I have not followed Jessee James, but I understand he has burned through a bunch of relationships, some on the show 8 years ago when I saw some episodes. I do remember Him building components from scratch, I give Him credit for that. I guess TV gave Him a big head, if He didn't allready have one. From the early days of the show, it was obvious that He was #1 in His life, and #2, and#3 and #4 and #5 etc.
Parent - - By grizzzly (**) Date 12-28-2011 05:39
I have done a little bodywork and it came out ok (he couldn’t see it but I could) i would rather not do another cut and patch if i could avoid it.

On this project the body was removed and blasted inside an out there isn’t any rust on this thing (that dark splotch is oil) where the vertical and horizontal crack come together it look like it has been welded than the globs ground down

I am currently thinking (TIG) about doing a tack every half to quarter inch, grind smooth and then filling the rest in with putty
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 12-28-2011 18:29
Back in the day didn't they used to use lead to do that?
I seem to remember my high school auto body teaching talking about "leading" a dent or seam.
Not that it's the best method but maybe another option.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 12-28-2011 21:29 Edited 12-28-2011 21:32
Grizzly   if you go the tig route without making a patch...you might consider shaping a little copper sheet 1/16 or so to fit behind it as tight and close as you can...that will help suck up a little heat and cut down on draw and warp.  Be carefull not to weld to the copper, it will not wet nearly as easily as the steel so little chance of that, it will tear away easily if you do though.  Interesting project, post pics as you go if you don't mind.  That thing could be worth a good chunk of money to a collector when you get it done. Might see you on that American Pickers show in the future.:grin:

Yep lead was the thing way before Bondo came along.  Some high end restoration guys still use the technique, probably videos on it somewhere.

I agree with the Orange County comments....anybody can order parts and slap something together.  They do CNC some of their own wheels though.

Jessie James has a lot of respect for fabricating and metal working.  I could learn a ton of things from him.  Maybe since he moved to Texas his personal life might get better.  He will have a show coming up on the History Channel where he goes to Israel to learn blacksmithing techniques from Uri Hofi.  On that bike build off fiasco against the Tuttles it looks like he has acquired a nice forge/furnace and a heavy looking powered forging hammer.  Nice toys.

Which makes me think of that street tracker project out in my shop collecting dust....Anybody got a vertical mill I could get a few hours on around Little Rock in trade for some welding work? Oh and a Lathe with a 12" four jaw or a rotary table?  Few more parts to make, and about an hour of lathe work left to do on a wheel.  Some people buy boats, some motorcycles...the toys I want all go in the shop!
- By grizzzly (**) Date 02-26-2012 03:30
Ok so we are finally started working on the old Cushman

striping it down

pulling off the stuff that needs work

removing stuf that doesn’t belong there (that looks like a gas weld to me)

torchen

I hadn’t noticed this when I was looking at it earlier (the horizontal slot) that is where the shifter goes so I think that the shifter got out of adjustment and rather adjusting the linkage they just cut out the body

after doing a little searching I found that I could buy a boddy for this thing for about $600
considering this and all the other problems that this section of the body has and that we can get a replacement, we decided to not do much body work on this one and concentrate one getting everything else cleaned up and running. We will paint this body when we do the rest of the scooter incase we never get around to the new body
- - By grizzzly (**) Date 02-27-2012 03:18
Primed and painted the frame, put the fenders back on just to see what it looked like.had a little paint left so we painted the junk body too

Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 02-27-2012 12:29
Grizzzly,
    That is coming along very nice!!

jrw159
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Cushman restoration