Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Portable Hole?
- - By Superflux (****) Date 12-27-2011 21:31
Hole was cut out of location by 3 inches. Been searching Sec. VIII, but cannot find anything relating to filling in misplaced/miss located holes. Can anyone give me a paragraph to research for the NDE requirements for patches on a pressure vessel shell.
Attachment: 42516portablehole.JPG (176k)
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-27-2011 22:09
Welding and NDE requirements for welding the patch in would be the same as shell seam weld. Do 100% RT and you can't go wrong with the code or the customer.
Parent - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-28-2011 14:53
John,

Have you contacted the AI in your jurisdication?

According to where the misplaced hole is located and dia size it may be treated like a spin hole (see UW-34). 

When misplaced hole in vessel shell has occurred, our (Oregon) AI required that I generate a detailed repair procedure describing the "full patch" repair (i.e., joint design), preheat treatment, applicable PT or MT, and final 100% RT on the CJP weld.

QCRobert
Parent - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-28-2011 16:17 Edited 12-30-2011 20:05
Sorry fellows, I didn't look at the pix before posting my answer. It's clear that the hole can not be fixed up with a threaded coupling.
Now, if you weld to it a pipe nozzle of suitable diameter with a flange welded to it and a blind counterflange, would the 3 inches offset be a great problem?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 12-28-2011 18:17
John,

Looking at the pix, it appears that there is a circular weld seam near the open hole as if a hole has been already repaired?  Please explain for me.

ASME Sec VIII Div 1 is a construction code and will not address repairs of this nature but do address defects that are found during construction.  NBIC would govern major repairs after construction.

Looking thru The National Board Guide for ASME Code Sec VIII Div 1, in 5.3.7 Welded Repairs, it states "Defects in material may be repaired by welding, provided concurrence is first obtained from the inspector" (A.I.) "for method and extent of the repair.  Items found nonconforming in production shall be repaired in a manner agreed upon between the inspector and the manufacturer."  It then lists applicable paragraphes of Sec VIII Div 1 as:
App. 10-8
App. 10-15
UG-78
UG-90
UW-51
UW-52
UF-37
UF-38

QCRobert
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-01-2012 17:59
Yes, the hole was repaired and "Moved" to it's proper orientation underneath "my radar". They say that the AI has been consulted on this and that an NCR is in the works. I was hoping to research the code sections that specifically address this issue. I am 3rd party and not actively involved in the process. I just need to make sure they are jumping through all the right hoops to report back to the owner. I think they wanted it all done before I found out and are not used to someone that gets out of the office...
I hope to get my library (books, made of paper) out of storage in the next week or so. It sure will help my research capabilities and report writing. Being old school, I find it more efficient to flip pages rather than use search function and hope I have the wording close enough to narrow down the results to fewer than a thousand choices.

Thanks for the help Gentlemen.
Sure is good to be back in the "Real World"... on a real job, with real issues that will be resolved and not just patched up enough to get back into battle.
I'm not shell shocked and diving for cover, but the sound of certain doors slamming gets my attention sometimes.

Hope everyone is enjoying the Season with friends and family.
I am.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-03-2012 15:18
A portable hole; is that like a portable welding machine, i.e., it is a hole that can be moved from one location to the next?

Al :cool:
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Portable Hole?