Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Developing Teaching Skills
- - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-28-2011 03:33
I am interested in some materials to help me become a more effective welding teacher.

I took over a "pipe welding" class that had been going on for about 2 mos already and  don't feel I have done as good a job as I could have. I have never bothered to look into what skills I need to develop as an instructor and would love to get better.

Any books, websites, or contact information would be great.

I have questions about welding specific topics that an experienced instructor may be able to help me with but am also looking for information that is geared towards vocational training.

Would love some phone time with anyone with helpful information.

Thanks
Gerald Austin
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-28-2011 04:42
Gerald,

I'm not a pipeliner so not much help there.

But for any general stuff I'm always a resource for you.

The textbook on the market that has the Most thorough pipe welding matter is "Welding: Principles & Practices"   By Sachs and Ed Bohnart.  My judgement is on the 3rd  Edition, which I have used myself in the past.. He has a new edition out just this year, but haven't fully reviewed it yet..

Anything at all... You know how to contact me
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 12-28-2011 16:26
Lawrence,
Do you know who's the publisher of that book?
Have a Happy New Year.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-28-2011 22:37
Giovanni

The publisher is McGraw Hill...

Ed Bohnart is a past president of the American Welding Society, but does not carry on like a big fish.. He has visited my classroom to talk to students and I have been his student in some different situations..

Amazon.com probably has the best prices
http://www.amazon.com/Welding-Principles-Practices-Raymond-Sacks/dp/0078250609/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325111397&sr=8-1

Here is the publisher.
http://www.mcgraw-hill.com.au/html/9780078250606.html

Happy New Year to you too!
- By hvymax (**) Date 10-22-2013 17:00
The hardest thing is learning how to teach. Years ago they would send people to me in the shop to teach and I would try to show them how I did it which was like Don Garlits teaching parallel parking. I had to learn how to teach the basics and let each persons technique develop. Being able to "read the weld" is imperative. I can look at the welds and see where they were comfortable, where their elbow dropped, where they shifted and changed their angles, where the clamp got in the way etc etc. I teach them to get themselves comfortable enough that they can travel like a machine. Once they find their happy place they can focus on perfecting their techniques.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / Developing Teaching Skills