Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repair of cracks in welds observed in 321 stainless steel
- - By Shaju K. Albert Date 01-01-2012 09:03
Dear Colleagues in AWS forum,

Best wishes for a happy New Year.

We need to repair cracks observed in the flange to tube welds made of  stainless steels. These cracks are observed in the weld metals. The welds have been in service for a few years. The material is Russian origin and of composiiton equivalent to 321 SS.

With regards

Shaju K. Albert
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-01-2012 18:44
Hello Shaju

308 and 347 would be appropriate fillers if the material is 321 or equivalent.  Without a few facts to go with it I would say work with a 347 filler.  Although this "sounds" like a boiler repair.......To get solid advice from the experts you on here should provide pictures of the failures and give a solid description of the service environment.  I.E.  Pressure in service, operating temps vs. not in service temps, any mechanical loads applied, chemistry of what is in the tubes?
Parent - - By Shaju K. Albert Date 01-02-2012 00:52
Hello Tommy,

Thanks for the inputs. I shall come back with more information on the failure of the component shortly.

With regards

Shaju
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-04-2012 19:10
Pictures would be helpful
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Repair of cracks in welds observed in 321 stainless steel