Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pancake hood
- - By texwelder (***) Date 01-01-2012 23:52
I am going to buy a pancake hood I would like info on what brand and the cheapest place to buy them nobody in the betake/college station area has much of a selection
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-02-2012 00:08
Seach Wendys or Sarges pancake hood.. Call the number and tell them what you want.. Give them a credit card number and three days later and $65 lighter you will have one of the best pancakes made.. 

End of story..!!

I have a Sarges and I love it..!! A buddy of mine has a Wendys and he loves his... When you put them next to each other you cant hardly tell a difference between the two..!!

I just bought a sugar scoop because I'm doing allot of fabricating..  I love my Pancake but when you are grinding and fitting its a pain to put on your safety glasses then take them off again to put your hood on and do that all day long..!!  

If I am doing nothing but welding out I will take my pancake over ANY other hood all day..!!!

If you are doing allot of fabricating or rough and tumble structural in tight places I would go with a sugar scoop just because that sugar scoop will take a lot of abuse where the pancake doesn't like running into stuff very much..

Thats my 2 cents worth..
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 01-02-2012 00:15
I have three of the sugar scoops they call the pipeliner and I love them to but they are heavy I tried a pancake hood awhile back and loved its weight and I agree that for just straight welding they are cats meow
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 01-02-2012 00:20
I cut about two inch's off the bottom of my sugar scoop and about an inch off the top.. That took allot of weight away and kept it from hitting me in the throat when I flipped it down..

If I were to buy another pancake I would probably get a Wendys for one reason only... It comes with leather strips for the box where the Sarges it cost extra...  Other than that I think they are roughly the same hood..!!
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 01-02-2012 01:01
I think so too I looked on the web-sites I can get a sarges here in town for about sixty bucks
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-02-2012 03:39
I have both Sarges and Wendy's pancakes.  They are both good just invest in an auto darkening lense too.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 01-02-2012 03:53
Oh I have that I have been using auto lenses for about 20 years
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-02-2012 03:58
Also I have seen Sarges go for over 115 bucks at a LWS in east tx a few months ago.  I about **** myself.  You can also check out www.plwelder.com
She has good prices on them as well.
Parent - - By texwelder (***) Date 01-02-2012 05:09
115 dollars that's higher than giraffe p---y !!!!!!!!!
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-03-2012 06:38
I use a sarges becuase its lighter than wendys im half tempted to go back and get a wendys just to have an extra i paid 75 for the sarges at 3d welding aupply in floresville
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-02-2012 04:18
I've got a Wendy's and I love it! Have not used it in months though, bought a Miller digital elite last year and a speedglas a few weeks ago, really like those but I still love the darkness that the pancake hoods offer. I've got real sensitive eyes(blue) and the pure dark from the pancake is my favorite thing about them. I think it makes everything more clear as you don't have light on the inside of the lense. Well worth the money. I agree with the safety glasses though, real pain in the bum when your welding and swapping glasses for pancake. I know some guys use those Tom Waters safety glasses(look like John Lennon shades). They may work for some guys but for me I get a good crosswind and it blows debris in my eyes and it sticks so I need real safety glasses.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pancake hood