Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Aluminum 5083 & 6062
- - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-02-2012 07:26
Hi,
I'm looking for mechanical properties of Aluminum 5083 & 6062 alloys (such as UTS, Ys, Young Module etc.) from 0 to melting point. Does anyone know where I could find them?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-02-2012 14:16 Edited 01-02-2012 14:18
www.google.com.....   1 minute of research

A metallurgical engeneer does not have access or ability to do this without asking for help?

ASM Metals handbook vol 1 and 6

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2804

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/properties-aluminum-pipe-d_1340.html
Parent - - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-02-2012 18:09 Edited 01-02-2012 18:19
Dear lawrence,
The volumes of ASM are not 1 & 6, but it's Volume 2 and the properties that have been listed in volume 2 are just for annealed type (0), but I'm looking for H111, H321 temper designations and you can't find them in just a 1-minute search in google! Because I have searched more than 2 hours and have found some papers. Also Some of the properties are given for room temperature. So I know that these are the minimum knowledge which a metallurgical engineer should have. Anyway thanks for your kind post. I would be happy to have posts from you in the future.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-03-2012 00:43 Edited 01-03-2012 01:29
Here you go Eshan...

http://www.alcoa.com/mill_products/europe/en/pdf/Nautic_Al_EN.pdf

http://www.alcoa.com/mill_products/europe/en/search/search.asp?QueryText=5083+H321&scope=limited&WebTrends=mill_products%2Feurope|en&sTopNav=true

It took me three minutes to find this... Maybe you should have tried a different approach when searching.:yell::lol::yell::lol::yell::lol::eek::eek::eek::wink::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 99205 (***) Date 01-03-2012 02:50
Oh, come on now.  Give the guy a break, he's just an Engineer.  Lawrence, spell check.  :lol:
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 01-03-2012 02:55
My bad...

Woodshed for Lar...
Parent - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-03-2012 16:11
Thx Henry, we have very limited references in here
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-03-2012 14:13
Hi Ehsan

Do you really need the mechanical properties all the way to the melting point? This is very difficult information to get hold of. I have some pretty good information of the different alloys at typical ambient temperatures, and some (very hard to come by) physical properties for a wide range of elevated temperatures. If you have not managed to get the specific information you are looking for yet, give me more specific details and I will see if I have what you are looking for. (The files are generally large, so I am not sure if I will be able to attach it to a post here. May have to use a file share site or something.)

Let me know.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-03-2012 16:18
Dear Niekie, The properties (for 5083-H111, H116,H321 and 6082-T6) that I'm looking for are as follows:
1-modulus of elasticity;
2-conductivity;
3-thermal expansion;
4-specific heat;
and the temperature range is from ambient temperature to melting point. As you know these information are not given in usual & public docs and general searches in internet. You see everyone has laughed at me because of not having the chance to find theme!!
Thanks for your kind thoughts posts.
Best regards,
Ehsan
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-03-2012 18:01
6062 and 6082, HUh Haven't heard of this type of aluminum is it new.

M.G.
Parent - - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-03-2012 18:07
Yeah it hasn't even mentioned in ASTM!! But it has similar properties to 6062
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 01-03-2012 18:41
Eshan, here's the brochure for 6082 T6 T651 from Alcoa of Switzerland:

http://www.alcoa.com/mill_products/catalog/pdf/general_engineering_plates/en/6xxx%20EN.pdf

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 01-05-2012 14:59
Henry
     It's almost the same as 6061-T6 very little difference between the two.
Thanks Henry glade to see you back.

M.G.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-04-2012 02:55 Edited 01-04-2012 03:39
Hi Ehsan

The physical properties you have referred to below will be very similar for all the Al alloys of the same type, irrespective of the temper or exact chemical composition. (Exception could be electrical conductivity. Is the conductivity you are looking for thermal or electrical? If thermal ,then that too will not be significantly affected by the exact temper or chemical composition.) If their basic structure is the same, then these physical properties will be similar. You will not find information all the way up to the melting point, because at some point the alloy becomes unusable and it makes little sense commercially for the suppliers to obtain property information above these temperatures. At any rate, I will forward you some of the information that I have for high temperature properties of Al alloys. It is typically in graphical format, so you can just extrapolate it out on the up side as far as it makes sense. (e.g. to phase change temperatures.)

You may have to mix and match between the information for the Mg containing alloys, and the pure Al to get what you want, but at least you will be a step closer to your goal!

As a matter of interest, what do you need this information for? Sounds like you are doing some high temperature modelling of some kind.

I will try to supply these as attachments, but I suspect that they may be too big for this forum. If so, I will have to e-mail them to you. (EDIT: Yes, too big for an attachment here. I see the limit is 1MB. These files are 5MB & 9MB, so can not attach here! I will upload to a fileshare application, and supply the link. - I hope that will work!)

(EDIT 2: link to file download below: Let me see if this works! - First time I am trying this, so please forgive me if it bombs out! - OK, it works, but the link will only be active for 5 days, so you need to download ASAP.)

https://www.transferbigfiles.com/dd4061d1-cee8-41d8-b9dd-283e25070c58?rid=XjN5sZzVjiJJ4twqoNArJA2

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-04-2012 09:16
dear Niekie!!
Thanks for your help, It really helped me Yeah I meant Thermal conductivity. you've always been kind and helpfull.
Best regards,
Ehsan
Parent - - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-05-2012 10:05
We are modeling and predicting Al's distortion and shrinkage during welding
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-05-2012 10:11
Hi Ehsan

I thought it may be something like that. I originally collected this information for a similar modelling exercise. (Only I did it on steel, but the reference I got had the data for a lot of different materials, so got the Al info also.) Hope you are successful with your project. Keep us updated on your progress.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Ehsan (*) Date 01-05-2012 10:14
Sure, I will do that my friend
Up Topic Welding Industry / Metallurgy / Aluminum 5083 & 6062