Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 304L Steam Kettle Welding Tips?
- - By commonarc (**) Date 01-03-2012 20:03 Edited 01-03-2012 20:06
I'm welding a steam kettle for a friend that is 304L stainless metal type.  Non-pressure parts.  Heavy gauge sheet metal.
Wondering if 3/32" stick rod is ok?  Or should one use TIG or MIG only?  Is 308L the best rod type to use?  I'm more worried about weld quality as in cracking than my ability.
He doesn't have a TIG or MIG welder, only a stick welder is available. 

also, Should I use solar flux on the back side, then grind and reweld or is that too much heat??  Any tips appreciated.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 01-03-2012 20:29
Hello commonarc, Tig is certainly the better choice if you have it available. In lieu of that, stick can probably be used but may be a much trickier application. A heat-sink or a combination of a heat-sink and solar flux would be adviseable on the backside of the welded area to help prevent or minimize burn-through or sugaring. I believe the 308L would be fine. Just consider that any repair that you make to an item that is used with foods needs to be sanitary, meaning that there are no places in the repair that could harbor bacteria when you are done. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By commonarc (**) Date 01-03-2012 20:36
Thanks Allan.  By heat sink I assume you mean clamp a piece of copper on the back side of the weld to avoid distortion?  Or pull some of the heat out of the stainless to avoid cracking? 

Sure wish I had a TIG but all we have is a stick welder.  My friend bought an old steam cooker from a restaurant and it needs some work as it was damaged when they demolished the building.  It's for his own personal use.

thanks again for the tips.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 01-03-2012 21:33
Copper would be good, but if you are in a pinch aluminum also works pretty well. Whatever you end up using try to shape the surface of the backing so that it has complete contact with the area that you are backing, that will help the most. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 304L Steam Kettle Welding Tips?