Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Had to share copied from a friend
- - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-06-2012 13:12
Wall Photos
One Sunday morning, an old cowboy entered a church just before services
were to... begin. Although the old man and his clothes were spotlessly clean,
he wore jeans, a denim shirt and boots that were worn and ragged. In his
hand he carried a worn-out old hat and an equally worn, dog-eared Bible.

The church he entered was in a very upscale and exclusive part of the city.
It was the largest and most beautiful church the old cowboy had ever seen.
The people of the congregation were all dressed with expensive clothes and
fine jewelry. As the cowboy took a seat, the others moved away from him.
No one greeted, spoke to, or welcomed him. They were all appalled by his
appearance and did not attempt to hide it.

As the old cowboy was leaving the church, the preacher approached him
and asked the cowboy to do him a favor. "Before you come back in here
again, have a talk with God and ask him what he thinks would be appropriate attire for worship in church." The old cowboy assured the preacher he would.

The next Sunday, he showed back up for the services wearing the same ragged jeans, shirt, boots, and hat. Once again he was completely shunned and ignored. The preacher approached the cowboy and said, "I thought I asked you to speak to God before you came back to our church."
"I did," replied the old cowboy."

And what was his reply?" asked the preacher. Well, sir, God told me he didn't have a clue what I should wear. He said He had never been in this ChurchSee More
By: Kevin Plummer
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-06-2012 17:00
Thanks.  Unfortunately there is a lot of truth to that joke.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 01-06-2012 17:22
My brothers and sisters, you are believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ. So treat everyone the same.
  Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes. And suppose a poor man in worn-out clothes also comes in. Would you show special attention to the one who is wearing fine clothes? Would you say, "Here's a good seat for you"? Would you say to the poor person, "You stand there"? Or "Sit on the floor by my feet"? If you would, aren't you treating some people better than others? Aren't you like judges who have evil thoughts?
My dear brothers and sisters, listen to me. Hasn't God chosen those who are poor in the world's eyes to be rich in faith? Hasn't he chosen them to receive the kingdom? Hasn't he promised it to those who love him?

James 2:1-5
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-06-2012 17:42
Excellent. Reminds me of an old song I think was sung by either Johnny Paycheck or David Allan Coe. May not be either one but describes a similar scene.
Parent - - By JeremyW83 (***) Date 01-06-2012 18:06
I think it might have been Chris LeDoux.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-07-2012 02:07
Hello JeremyW83;
I got home tonight and looked up this song. It is by Johnnie Paycheck. It is not exactly like the story above but it closely resembles it; in my opinion. I attend church on a regular basis at a small country church and I would like to think everyone would be welcome regardless of appearance. I don't know how to include a url but I copied the link. Have a good weekend.

Matt

► 5:47► 5:47

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9VsF8sCGec
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-06-2012 21:56
If God wanted you to walk around, naked you would have been born that way!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-07-2012 04:00
When I go visit a church for the first time I purposely dress in blue jeans, sneakers or work boots and a decent button up shirt (sometimes a t shirt).  Denomination has little to do with it.  There are plenty of good country churches where I receive a warm welcome and lots of handshakes and chit chat.  There are also a good number where I am lucky if three people talk to me or my family.  The churches that are the kind of people who will swarm over a "homeless looking man" are the kind of places where I go back to.  Where pews are filled with the love of God in the hearts.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-07-2012 11:25
Good Morning;
That is true. Didn't mean to imply that one is better than another. My stepson goes to college in Belton; Tx. When we are out there on a Sunday, we go to church. One Sunday we went to a great big church out of town there and it seemed like people were falling over themselves to say hello. Nice bunch of people. Have a good one.

Matt
Parent - - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-08-2012 18:27
I have been to different churches in my best starched clothes and my holy work clothes. Everybody is different. There are folks that dont care who you are or what you look like that will go out of their way to talk to you and welcome and there's the 1's that just shun you cause you are new to the church. Who cares what they think or feel i am there to learn about god not make life long friends. God knows who they are and they will be dealt with when they go to see him.
Parent - By RUSSELL (**) Date 01-09-2012 04:03
JUDGE NOT LEST YE BE JUDGED
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 01-09-2012 20:19
God neither sees clothing nor skin. A persons soul, now that is another matter.
Parent - By Rafter_G_Weldin (***) Date 01-10-2012 02:16
Amen
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Had to share copied from a friend