Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help selecting rod for cast steel
- - By sparkycanuck (*) Date 12-12-2002 21:18
I have a farming friend who brought me a broken yoke shaped piece off the front of an old earth scraper he uses behind his big tractor. I believe it to be some type of steel casting. I intend to pre-heat, weld it with stick ( maybe use some 8018-C3 ? ) and reinforce it with mild steel plate. Anybody know a good electrode to weld this with. Thanks in advance - WS
Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 12-13-2002 05:57
i'm not sure what kind of electrode it is, but there is one you can use that has nickel in it. nickel is kinda soft and works well w/ cast iron. which brings up another question: is it cast iron? or cast steel? if it's cast steel, the 8018-C3 will work good. if it's cast iron, try to find a welding rod specifically for cast iron. you can find out if it's cast iron or cast steel by using a grinder. grind on something you know is steel and see how many sparks come off of it. cast iron sparks a lot less than steel. and preheat sounds good too.
Parent - - By sparkycanuck (*) Date 12-17-2002 02:00
The piece definitely was steel ( bright sparks & I used the torch to cut a bevel on the pcs) I welded it with the 8018-C3 and wrapped it in some fiberglass insulation. Still interested in knowing if there are any other good rods to use on this type of steel. Thanks again guys.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-17-2002 19:17
There shouldnt be any problem with the 8018 C3 electrode.

If you are working with Cast Steel theres a good chance its more than you need in Tensile & Yield strength, no harm in that save its a little more expensive. I dought you used enough to make a point of that.

You might want to look at 7018 or 6010 ~12.
Parent - By cawelder (**) Date 12-14-2002 18:45
First Question, Is it cast Iron or cast steel. I usually take a torch to a small area. When you hit the cut switch on the torch either it will blow and cut like steel or it will just melt. Cast Iron just melts, it wont cut like steel. If its steel use the 8018, if its cast iron use the Nickel 99.
Parent - By jamesbg (*) Date 12-18-2002 09:27
In either case iron or steel it pays to peen the hell out of it between each pass.Each electrode company has their (fancy ) electrodes for iron or steel such as cromatron,certanium,MG,perma,ect.AND pre &post heat should be consitered depending on base material and size.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Need help selecting rod for cast steel