Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / X factor? Bruscato Formula
- - By vdao3004 (**) Date 01-13-2012 16:55
Can someone tell me what is it. and purpose.
The filler metal shall meet an X factor of <15, or X factor <25 for FCAW as calculated by the Bruscato Formula where,
X = (10P+5Sb+4Sn+As) *100, with each element as a weight % from the CMTR”.

Regards,
V-Dao
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-13-2012 17:30
P means phosphorus, Sb antimonium, Sn tin and As arsenic. I don't know of a steel containing antimonium, tin and arsenic. As for phosphorus, its percentage in steel is always kept to traces, its maximum being specified by standards like SAE, ASTM, AISI etc.
Sorry, I can't help you, I don't realize what the purpose of Bruscato formula is.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil

PS. There's the chance that Bruscato formula is not intended for steel, but for other  metals, e.g. aluminum.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-13-2012 19:39
Giovanni,
The article posted is quite good. I would emphasize the X-Factor is filler metals. The J-Factor is base metals. They utilize the same thinking but the elements vary slightly. The problems were first manifest in pressure vessels that were held for long periods in the sensitve range due to long PWHT. It has since been applied to piping especially of the chrome moly variety as stated.
Parent - - By kilgoretrout (*) Date 01-13-2012 18:57
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 01-14-2012 00:23 Edited 01-14-2012 00:28
Gentlemen, you (me, in this case) learn something new every day, and I thank you for having taught it to me.
I didn't know that just minimal quantities of phosphorus, antimonium, tin and arsenic could have such great influence in welding chrome moly steel. Back in my days of erector engineer (many many years ago) I welded tons of chrome moly steel (well, not me but the welders under my supervision) and the mean concern was preheating, PWHT and cleanliness. The x factor didn't even exist.
I may add something to the excellent article on The Fabricator magazine: ppm means parts per million, i.e., milligrams per kilogram or grams per metric ton. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-14-2012 02:12
Wow, good read.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 01-15-2012 06:10
Good link - Thanks!
Parent - By vdao3004 (**) Date 01-17-2012 02:58
Thanks,good help
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / X factor? Bruscato Formula