Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Off-Brand Welding Equipment
- - By Racecarl Date 12-13-2002 05:25
What opinions do you have regarding off-brand welding equipment like Airco, L-tec, Linde. I have heard of these brands before, although L-Tec is not as familiar to me. I understand that each of these companies have been bought out by Miller (Airco?) and Esab(L-Tec & Linde).

Were these good machines that the bigger companies wanted to add to their own product lines or did the big companies buy them out just to increase their own market share?

I am of the opinion that a welder is a welder is a welder. As long as the basic design is sound, the welder does not care what brand it is and brand A will do the same job as brand B as long as the task at hand is within the design paramaters of the machine.

I have been looking for a 250+amp single phase wire feed welder. I went to Miller and Lincoln's websites and printed off comparison/contrast information tables and put them all on the table. Each manufacturer touts a few features here and there and Miller and Lincoln both seem to pick on Esab a little, but I have a hard time picking a 'winner' from this lot, particularly when it comes to price.

I have been watching eBay recently and have noticed several Airco, L-Tec and Linde welders that should be OK for what I want. I cannot justify in my own mind spending an extra $1000-$1500 for a new welder when an older, used one will do the job just as well. Perhaps I need to be persuaded otherwise and if so, here is the chance to do it.

I run a little sideline business restoring old tractors. I enjoy fabricating things and have picked up a few little jobs using my Lincoln AC-225 buzz box. I want a machine that will handle body sheet metal thin to 1/2" plate thick. My next big project will be installing a different differential in my '51 Chevy pickup and I prefer the speed and neatness of the GMAW weld to the SMAW weld.

Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 12-13-2002 19:22
Your thinking sounds right on to me.

Whistles and bells cost money and for the most part excellent work at high production rates have been accomplished for the last 30 years or so with just the basic CV stuff. Check out Ed Craigs excellent site at www.Weldreality.com.

Of course there is some risk in buying used equipment. Take your time learn how to ferret out the best machine for your buck.

Lar
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 12-16-2002 12:56
I have 17 welding machines and 4 of them have been purchased at auctions. I have found that if it is working when you buy it, it will probably continue to work for you for sometime. However, every used machine I purchased did need some repair within one year of purchase, we did use them everyday though. The old machines are usually quite large and bulky and sometimes repair parts are not available anymore. In the scenario you describe I would suggest the Millermatic 250X or Lincoln Power mig 250 (or whatever the current designation is for this size machine). These industrial quality machines will last you a lifetime and the cost is about $1600.00. With the addition of a spool gun they will run GMAW, FCAW and aluminum. This should cover just about anything you will ever need. Good luck.

Respectfully,
Mike Sherman
Parent - By Cliff Date 12-16-2002 17:39
My biggest concern would be finding parts and service on the off brand equipment. If you know for sure you can get parts and service then I would consider buying a used off brand but only if you can get it for less than half of the new price of a brand name welder. I chose to buy a new Lincoln Power Mig 255 two years ago for general farm repairs and I really like it. It's nice to be able to walk into the local welding supply store and any parts I need although so far I have only needed contact tips and I recently bought a liner and drive rolls for .023 wire.
Parent - By brande (***) Date 12-19-2002 06:12
This is a very subjective discussion. There can be some great differences between the manufacturers of arc welding equipment.
Some get it close to right, and some do not.

That is not to say that the ones who get it wrong's machines-just the contrary. All machines from a major mfg work decently,just some work better than others.

You can never go wrong getting a machine from a major mfg-Lincoln, Miller, ESAB, L-Tec, Linde, Hobart, Thermal Arc.

Each manufacturer has it's strengths and weaknesses, but all in all the equipment is decent.

In this new age, however, repair can be a problem sometimes. Luckily enough, if you have a COMPETANT repair tech, many parts can be sourced from the open market.

Solenoids, relays, contactors, switches, pots, resistors,etc are all generic items and can be had from places like Graingers, Newark Electronics, Allied Electronics, even Radio Shak. As long as you know what you are looking for.

Circuit boards can be rebuilt by Innovat, Arc Products, National Weld Supply and others.

Other than transformers,sheet metal, and design, the major mfg do not produce much else. The rest is purchased from the same places we get our parts from.

Don't know if this helps much. If you do get into a repair situation, let me know directly. I may be able to help!!

brande
Parent - - By Racecarl Date 12-21-2002 04:55
I have tentatively made a deal to trade a tractor I fixed up for a new Lincoln Powermig 200. I really wanted a Powermig 255 or Miller 251 but this machine should handle 95% of what I build now and I can use a Miller CP 250 TS at work to do really heavy stuff, should the need arise.

Thanks for all the replies, both on this page and through email.
Parent - By brande (***) Date 12-28-2002 07:30
Learn to correctly set the "tapped slope" connection on the CP250TS, and you'll throw everything else in the scrap bin. (including the newer machines you mention. At least on hard wire apps).

Located under the hinged side door, the tapped slope option can give you some very good arc characteristics. Set correctly, nothing runs sweeter. Set incorrectly is another story.
Take some time to familiarize yourself with this. It works great and helps you to really fine tune the arc.

brande
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Off-Brand Welding Equipment