Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Study material
- - By unclematt (***) Date 01-17-2012 12:34
Good morning;
I am working at a facility that is governed by ASME Section IX. I have been here a while but have not had too much contact with this code. My question: Is there a guide that would help a person become more familiar with this code such as the study guide for API 1104? I want to learn more but the course that is given by ASME is somewhat cost prohibitive. Thank you for your time.

Have a good day;
Matt
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-17-2012 12:57
The best I've seen, and read, are the Companion Guides to the ASME Boiler Code.
There is a hell of lot there, written by long time committee members. You will not assimilate it all in a lifetime.
And they cover everything from Section I to Section XII and foreign stuff as well.
The historical stuff and the reasons behind requirements are superb.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-17-2012 13:50
Thank you js55;
I will look into the resources you have provided. I have read Sect. IX some and there is a lot of information to take in. And with all the supporting specs/codes, I have a lot of respect for someone who has read and retained all they contain. Thanks for the reply. Have a good one.

Matt
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-17-2012 17:52
I suggest Practical Guide to ASME Section IX Welding Qualifications by Michael J. Houle, Casti Publishing Inc., from the Practical Guide Book Series - Volume 2, Internet web site: www.casti-publishing.com, email: castipub@compusmart.ab.ca, (403) 478-1208, fax (403) 473-3359
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-17-2012 18:07
qcrobert;
Thank you, sir. I will look into it. Have a good one.

Matt
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 01-17-2012 19:01
All too often overlooked, I would urge any new user to ASME to read it's Forward and especially the Introduction Sections of the Codes, even long time users might be surprized at the information that can be obtained from reading just these few pages.  As I'm a big time fan of Walter Sperko, current Chair of ASME IX, I would also recommend visiting his website at www.sperkoengineering.com Walt provides a summary of changes to the ASME IX Code and also has several interesting articles on his site.  These recommendations are free and won't cost you a cent, only a little of your time.
Parent - - By unclematt (***) Date 01-17-2012 19:34
jon20013,
Thank you for your suggestion. I have read several posts on this forum that mention Walter Sperko. From what I have read, he has an amazing knowledge of the subject. I will check his website out and read the sections you mentioned. Have a good day.

Matt
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-17-2012 19:50
Walt is an amazing guy. There are a lot of words in Section IX that are his. He is one of the primary 'word smith's' in Section IX. He also teaches the ASME Section IX course, as well as those around him.
The author of the Companion Guide Section IX chapter is a long time Chairman of Section IX Joel Feldstein, now Chairman of the Technical Oversight Management Committee. Also an amazing guy.
Mike Houle, a long time member of Section IX was one of the most knowledgeable gentlemen to have sat on Section IX. A virtual encyclopedia of Section IX history.
You cannot go wrong with anything produced by these guys.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-18-2012 14:10
I agree.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-19-2012 13:15
Hi

I am sure that this has been spoken about a lot on this very forum, so if you go back there will be posts that give some ideas about how ASME IX works. Once you get a feel for the code it is relatively easy to use. (You will never know everything, but how to use the code is really all that is important.) Here is a link for the last one I know of:

http://www.aws.org/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=29147

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 01-19-2012 14:03
Thank you. I will search for past dicussions. I have read a few. These were quite helpful.

Have a good day;
Matt
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Study material