Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Lack of side wall fusion in SS Pipe Butt Welds using GTAW
- - By Nalla (***) Date 01-18-2012 21:57
Dear Experts
Appreciate if you can shine some pratical solution in avoiding the defect asap.
Const Code - ASME B31.3 Edition 2010.
Material - SS Pipe / Fittings
SS Pipe - SCH 10S( 3mm ~ 6.35mm ) x 2" ~ 24" dia.
Weld position - 6G
Possible causes - Hi-Low between pipe x fittings / Low Heat Input
This defect keep appearing in segments
Thanks
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-18-2012 22:37
I'm guessing they might be free handing the welding of the smaller diameters since its 6G. If not they're working too hard. I'm also guessing that the fusion problems are probably concentrated most in the mid diameters. The smaller diameters don't really have a side wall to speak of, and with the larger diameters you can walk the cup, which helps.
I would also say its not a heat input problem per se. The puddle is viscous and so you have to give it time to fuse. It can help to even cool your parameters and allow you to slow down.
The might also be humping the root and then cold lapping the cover. If your roots and fills are concave you should have no trouble.
If specs allow I'd knock a slight bevel on the smaller diameters and autogenous the root. Then one pass fill and cap. No side wall problem.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-19-2012 12:46
Hi Nalla

This problem often occurs in welding of duplex stainless steel, especially when low heat input parameters are asked for. It is normally caused by the welders laying the filler wire in the groove and then fusing it in. A better technique is to establish a weld pool, and then "dip" the filler into the moulten weld pool, so that you are sure that the filler is being fully melted.

Let the welders try that, and see if your problem goes away.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 01-19-2012 15:40
The dip method would help, make sure the welders are properly cleaning between passes. If the welders are stuggling with the low heat input requirements ( I am assuming low amps ) the welders can still " burn up " the stainless cuasing it to turn black or dark grey in color. When this happens the next weld pass will not fuse properly, if this happens the welders need to remove some of the weld metal to help the problem.
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 02-05-2012 11:26
Hi Nalla

Got any feedback on this? Did you manage to sort out your problems, and if so, how?

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Lack of side wall fusion in SS Pipe Butt Welds using GTAW