Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / ASME what to do
- - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-18-2012 22:44
Ok what would you do…….
If this situation were to happen .
test plates come in for ASME job the order mistakenly ordered 3 plates and not the 6 plates needed  to qualify 3 welders each welding a qualification plate.
The witness per contract will arrive tomorrow, not enough time to replace the plates.
Before the details are worked out would you recommend…
A ) Call off the whole thing.
Or
B) Tell the welders to all use the same plate. (devils in the details)
Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 01-19-2012 00:43
Notify the witness prior to their arrival, and let them make the decision. Being upfont and honest will eliminate problems down the road.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-19-2012 01:38
Might want to double this post in Certification and Qualification thread! quickly
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-19-2012 22:35
well, its not a real situation im just tryin to chew the fat.
anyhow.....say the customer knows nothing about code......do you tell the too bad, or suggest 3 welders weld on a single coupon.
Im wondering how you all would take that suggestion?
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-19-2012 22:37
cant they are En route.
im just looking for a reaction to suggesting 3 welders on 1 plate.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 01-20-2012 00:28
Sorry I did not see the if.   How could you even begin to qualify that to a wps/code...the coupons are gonna be cut for the required length of weld to qualify...now you want to divide it by three?  That throws the qual out the window till something is written to accommodate it.  I reckon in the fantasy world you could have the witness mark/stamp the starts and stops and then burn a 1/2 inch on the ends ....oh hell this is nuts, maybe on a visual only qual maybe maybe...uhhh probably not.  You got too much time on your hands Mike.:lol:
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-20-2012 02:58
Look at QW-306.
Then follow it to QW-452. you should be able to find your answer.

I haven't worked with ASME for awhile, but I know its possible to qualify more than one welder on 1 coupon.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-23-2012 11:17
thank you
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-20-2012 10:57
Hi Mike

The variables for the procedure and welder qualifications are dealt with independently, so theoretically there is no problem getting multiple welders to perform the welding on the procedure test plate. The problem will be that at the end, practically none of the welders may be qualified to perform production welding if their deposited thickness was not sufficient. If it is a very thick test plate, then you may be OK, because once the deposited thickness per welder (per process) goes over 1/2 inch, they can weld all thicknesses.

I hope I have interpreted correctly that you want to qualify a procedure test, and simultaneously qualify the welders?

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 01-20-2012 21:18
Well for this example its just a performance test a PRQ and WPS already Qualified.
I agree that it can be done with risk.
this is not really happening, just trying to learn code limits and requirments.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / ASME what to do