Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Using a 1.5" thk plate to qualify up to 8 " thk.
- - By vdao3004 (**) Date 01-21-2012 03:29
ladies and Gentlemen,
If I using 1.5 THK. test plate ,we welded an 3/4 thk with GTAW and 3/4 with FCAW, according section 9 code,  I can qualify this WPS up to 8 inches, but what are about the welding processes, how much thk. for each process to be qualified to? I am not clear on this one.
Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-21-2012 16:22
Hi Vdao

If the deposited thickness exceeds 19mm with any process, then according to ASME IX, you are qualified to weld the full qualified thickness of the WPS with that process. In your example, you will be able to weld up to 8" thick with both GTAW and FCAW.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-22-2012 02:15
Check QW-451 (table). Upper case "T" represents the thickness of the joint (through the weld) and lower case "t" represents the thickness of weld deposited with each F-number (F-number representing the filler metal). The hook is that the welding process must be considered as well as the F-number. In other words, GTA, GMAW, and FCAW may each use a filler metal with the same F-number, but each has to be considered separately. So, if you deposit 3/8 inch of weld using:

A)  GTAW with a F6 filler metal, the procedure is qualified for 3/4 inch maximum using GTAW.
B)  Then deposit an additional 3/8 inch using FCAW with F6, the procedure is qualified for an additional 3/4 inch of weld or a total of 1 1/2 inches.
C) If you deposit an additional 3/8 inch (on top of the GTAW and the FCAW) using SMAW with F3, the procedure is qualified for an additional 3/4 inch of weld for a total of 2 1/4 inches.
d) If you deposit an additional 13/16 inch using SMAW with F4, the procedure is qualified up to 8 inches.

The entire 8 inches  can be welded using SMAW with a F4 filler metal or a combination of the other processes and F numbers as long as their individual limitations are observed, e.g., 3/4 inch maximum using GTAW with a F6 filler metal. The sequence of welding processes is not a concern.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-23-2012 12:23
Hi Al

Not quite sure I understand the point you are making. If I add up all the deposited thicknesses (t):

GTAW: 3/8"
FCAW: 3/8"
SMAW F3: 3/8"
SMAW F4: 13/16"
Total: 1.9375"

This is more than the 1.5" we are talking about, so I suspect you made an error on the last thickness. To make it work, the SMAW F4 will also need to be 3/8", so I suspect that is what you meant? If that is the case, then you will be qualified to weld 3/4" thickness with each of the above processes, so you be able to deposit a maximum of 3" with this combination. I do not believe that you can add the F3 and F4 thicknesses and claim to be able to weld to 8" with either of the SMAW fillers, because the F number is an essential variable. (Is this what you were trying to say?)

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-23-2012 14:27
My example did not apply specifically to thickness of your plate. I was attempting to show how the welding process, thickness of the weld deposited (each process considered independently of another), and F-number came into play when determining the thickness range for which the procedure is qualified.

Sorry my feeble attempt at clarification failed.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Using a 1.5" thk plate to qualify up to 8 " thk.