Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / UL 142 Questions
- - By cepennington (*) Date 01-24-2012 14:51
I have a client that has been asked to build a simple 12,000 Gallon, single wall stainless steel tank. The specifications are requiring the tank to be built in accordance with UL 142 and be stamped with a UL Label. The specifications also read "Radiograph - NO" and "Stress Relief - NO". Can someone explain the UL 142 inspection and labeling process and or requirements to me without me having to purchase the UL 142 at $505.00 and the UL 969 at $402.00? If the client gets the project, I will have them purchase the codes, but they do not want to purchase the code to find out they are not capable of building the tank.

Thanks,
Chuck
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-24-2012 15:17
You have to have a copy of the rules or you can't play the game. If the job isn't worth the cost of buying the appropriate standards it isn't worth getting involved. Quoting a job on the basis of a "He said" is like pulling the trigger on a six shooter with five bullets in the chamber.

Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-24-2012 16:21
Al is right. You gotta have the standards to play. Its the cost of doing business.
Also, you have to sit down and read the things. If the standard is of any extent at all nobody can tell you the requirements.
It seems to me that 900$ on a 12,000G SS tank is pocket change. After you buy the material you won't even notice the blip for standards costs.
Parent - - By cepennington (*) Date 01-24-2012 17:10
I guess I need to clarify. I’m not building the tank. I am an NDT guy. A Fabricator that happens to be a client of mine is building the tank. They are an ASME Code shop with PP, R, and U stamps. They do not have any experience with UL 142 and neither do I. They wanted to know if the UL program was similar to the ASME program (need special certification) or if anyone could build the tank and label it and stand behind their product. I just told them to buy a copy of the code. I am not willing to buy a $500.00 code unless I know I am going to get some work out of it.
Have you ever bought an ASTM Specification to get a $60.00 sheet of paper with two sentences that, in short, refer you to another ASTM Specification? I call it buyer’s remorse. That is what I was trying to prevent by asking the question.
Thanks,
Chuck
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-24-2012 17:44

>Have you ever bought an ASTM Specification to get a $60.00 sheet of paper with two sentences that, in short, refer you to another ASTM Specification?

Been there, done that.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 01-24-2012 18:53
I've had some minimal experience with UL and there will most likely be special proof testing requirements in order to put the label on. You also have to have the labels printed by an approved label printer.
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 01-25-2012 00:50 Edited 01-25-2012 00:52
There is more than just buying the UL 142. And you dont just slap a UL monogram on a tank.
If your friend wants to build a couple of tanks, perhaps he should reconsider, unless he is planning on getting into the shop fabricated tank business. If the client wants a monogramed tank, get started by:
Contacting Underwriters Laboratories Inc. (UL) at 333 Pfingsten Road, Northbrook, IL 60062-2096

http://www.ul.com/global/eng/pages/offerings/industries/energy/gasoil/start/

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/showpage.html?name=EEEV.GuideInfo&ccnshorttitle=Aboveground+Flammable-liquid+Tanks&objid=1074230993&cfgid=1073741824&version=versionless&parent_id=1073986058&sequence=1
Parent - - By qcrobert (***) Date 01-24-2012 21:15
The following is just the start of NDE methods employed by UL 142 Above Ground Storage Tanks for Flammable and Combustible Liquids. 

PERFORMANCE TEST METHODS
39 Tank Leakage Test
39.1 Caution
39.2 Primary containment tanks
39.3 Secondary containment tanks
40 Hydrostatic Strength Test
40.1 General
40.2 Test apparatus
40.3 Primary containment tanks
40.4 Secondary containment tanks
41 Top Load Test
42 Buoyancy Test
43 Hydrostatic Load Test
44 Tank Support Load Test
44A Lift Lug Test

You (or Fabricator) will need to purchase the all applicable UL Codes in order to build and/or inspect/test the UL stamped vessel.  The Fabricator has to be an "approved" UL facility and even the dwgs/calcs must be sent to UL for their approval and that doesn't come cheap.

We are also an ASME U & PP certificate holder incl. NBIC R certificate holder and checked into producing UL tanks and deemed it too costly.

QCRobert
Parent - By Tim63 Date 10-14-2016 09:25
Hi there, this thread is rather old but I am just curious, is there a requirement in the CONUS for such storage tanks to be UL labelled? Where does one look up UL registered firms? And what is the difference between UL Registered and UL Listed? For what it is worth, the 1968 Edition is on the public domain. No NDE procedures is called for in that edition except for a pneumatic test at 5 psi. Repair procedure is so lax that ASME certified shops would frown upon. From the point of view of an ASME stamp holder, the standard isn't as vigorous as any of the BPVC. Now in its 9th edition, it doesn't indicate how many pages it has expanded to. $631 seem like a steep price to pay to find out what is actually involved in the manufacture of such tanks. I think such demand is not reasonable. Experienced UL inspectors should be more helpful. Of course, when the company is given the order to supply a UL marked tank then, it is mandatory for that supplier to have the code. Withholding information such as NDE requirements for would be manufacturers isn't helping the industry at all. List of all, UL itself.

Tim
- By Gabrielsanthier Date 09-11-2017 22:40
DO I NEED A CALCULATION REPORT FOR AN UL-142 TANK?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / UL 142 Questions