I am the day shift inspector for a Job for the state of New York
working under AWS D1.1  and AWS D1.8. & the state of NY Building Code
It has come to my attention that the night shift inspector has not been
staying till the end of the fabrication companies shift. some days he shows
up at 10.00am   and leaves at 6.00Pm  leaving the welders unattended for
periods up to 6 hours with no monitoring. Not only are they violating the
AWS and ICC  and NYC codes requireing an inspector be present for all CJP
Welds and fillet welds over 5/16"  they are possibly defrauding the state of
NewYork Billing for two inspectors that are suppose to be there on different shifts
but in reality are there for 4 hrs at the same time. I feel that i should review the
weld log and reject every weld that was done on the evening shift.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 01-26-2012 11:15
joe pirie

I have found hard decisions can come with the inspection job.

This faulty practice definitely needs to brought forward.

I don't think just rejecting the welds is the answer, you need to submit a query in the form of a non-conformance report for sure.

Good Luck
Marshall
Parent - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-26-2012 11:51
I plan to reject the welds thru an NCR .
- - By mdagg (*) Date 01-26-2012 12:34
I have been in the same situation a few times. The way I handled it is I spoke to the individual and gave him a chance to explain his actions.  In most cases when the person finds out that someone else knows about their activities its enough to make them change their ways.  Also, if you are getting your information about the other inspector from the fabricator make sure you verify it.  I have been in fabrication shops that are more than happy to make up things about an inspector to get him removed from the project.  Good luck.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-26-2012 12:48
No i got the information from the sign in sheets for the project. i also
have returned to the project at night  several times to pick up some books and no inspector
was present. The company was made aware of this several weeks ago and did nothing
to rectify the problem. They don't care all they want is billable hours.
Parent - - By mdagg (*) Date 01-27-2012 12:25
Good Luck.  Make sure you have all your T's crossed and your i's dotted because not only will the individual be after you, but the company you are working for too.
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-28-2012 16:20 Edited 01-29-2012 18:00
I have no problem with the other inspector. He worked the hours he was assigned.  we discussed numerous times
the fact that there was no inspector present for 1/2  the night shift but he did  not want to do anything about it.
I  was terminated fri morning due to a reduction in force due to a lack of work lol.  I called the NYC building dept
they didn't want to even hear about the problem with no inspector, I called  The Mayor  at city hall they didn't want to hear about it,
I called the governors office got the same response. Finally i found the right set of ears and i think  that justice will prevail.

The person who i thought would help me with this problem and is always preaching ethics and do the right thing,
has the phone numbers of the right people to contact regarding these types  of matters won't even return a private
message . So Mr Joe Kane you know what you can do. !!!
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-29-2012 18:16 Edited 01-29-2012 18:27
Joe Pirie

I have been out of contact since last Sunday, and did not see any of this until five minutes ago.  I do not have any PMs from you showing on the top of the page.  The last PM I have from you is "Joe any idea on the salary ?" which you sent on 01-12-12.  I do not have any phone numbers and do not know who to call. 

When I had a similar problem with Testwell Labs back in 1996, I called the building commission, the police, the Board of Regents, Fire Department Etc. and got nowhere.  When I called the EOR, he was alarmed, and told me he had a report from Testwell that he had a report saying that there were XXX thousand of inches of good welds on that building, (E-Walk) and that htis was the first he was hearing about bad welds.   I know that they had a lot of problems fixing up the defects.  Testwell got indicted and put out of business three or four years ago, because of similar shenanegins. 

So, Joe if you are PO-ed because I didn't help you....----- So be it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Need some advice