Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPQR certified to D1.5 reciprocate to D1.1
- - By Tom Topolewski Date 01-27-2012 16:36
To all,

I am currently reviewing documentation at a fabrication shop in which the Welders ( WPQR's) are qualified to D1.5 via PQR -WPS to A709 Gr 50 Material 1" thick to specfied positions 1G, 2G Etc. The shop also has written Prequalified WPS's for AWS D1.1.  But does not have supporting WPQR's to D1.1. Does D1.5 certification of the Welders reciprocate as far as Joint design, Position, Material Catagory Type / wire with AWS D1.1 or will I have to have the Welders qualified additionally to the Pre- Qualified AWS D1.1 WPS's before they can conduct welding IAW D1.1

Thanks for you feedback

Tom
Parent - - By joe pirie (***) Date 01-29-2012 18:05
had the exact same problem EOR wrote a letter accepting welders qualifications.

i have seen some smart shops qualify D1.1 and D1.5 if they write the wps correctly.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 01-29-2012 21:52
Hold on.

If a D1.1 WPS is pre-qualified, and D1.5 WPS needs to be qualified (for say FCAW) as long as that's stated, and the welders are certifed and documented that way, why would you need to go back and re qualify a D1.1 already PRE qualifed WPS?

Maybe I'm missing something here.

When I test and certify my welders, I make sure they don't grind on the test coupon, this way they are certifed to both D1.1 and D1.5 in one test.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / WPQR certified to D1.5 reciprocate to D1.1