Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / NDE of Lifting lugs
- - By Superflux (****) Date 01-27-2012 23:16
I was told today that somewhere in the D1.1 that it is Mandatory to Mt or PT lifting lugs. I could not find anything in my 2008 edition. Nor could the other person find it when I asked to "see it in Writing".
Twisted memory or do we (HE) not know where to look?
Parent - - By ctacker (****) Date 01-28-2012 02:26
Could it be a slow NDE Tech telling you that?
I don't believe its in there, although its not a bad idea.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-28-2012 04:08
Not quite the case. Our NDE techs wouldn't wish to inflict any xtra work on themselves.
Definitely a good Idea, but my initial thought was that it was just a bit beyond AWS's and D1.1's realm of jurisdiction.
I've dug around as a courtesy, alas to no avail... but I can't find my car keys and Zippo right now.
Where do I post that query????
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2012 04:46
Clause 2 only requires volumetric NDT for certain categories of connections that are subject to fatigue in tension. I don't have the specific clause at hand. Other than that case, VT is the only NDT required by D1.1. Additional NDT must be specified by the Engineer. Note the upper case "E".

Al
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 01-28-2012 07:24
Al,
Thanks for the direction.
I'll dig through clause 2 a bit deeper in the AM.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2012 13:39
Take a look at Clause 2.19 from D1.1-2010.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By JTMcC (***) Date 01-28-2012 15:53 Edited 01-28-2012 16:22
In the code or not, I know of at least 3 large construction companies that have made it company policy.

J

I've also seen over the last few years large companies that don't allow any Chinese rigging allowed on a job, some who are more civil/heavy & highway related won't allow any rigging related welding in house on top of the increase in inspection of same.
I guess when they see things falling from the sky it makes an impression. Those same companies used to grab any carpenter,etc who said he could weld to do that type of work. I enjoyed watching the attitude change and it creates work for us.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 01-28-2012 15:56 Edited 01-28-2012 15:58
It is a good policy whether it is required by the code or not.

I would be very concerned if the company didn't use written welding procedures, didn't use qualified welders, or if they used GMAW-S. All reasons to require MT on ferromagnetic materials and PT on materials that can't be subjected to MT.

Al
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 01-28-2012 17:59 Edited 01-28-2012 18:07
I've seen the same thing and in addition to good shop practice, it's also a common Customer requirement. 

And to be perfectly honest temporary lifting eyes are a pet peeve of mine.  I have seen one fatality and way too many near misses due to carelessness when  welding a temp lifting eye.  Lack of cleaning and lack of preheat is a common problem, or maybe a welders helper is assigned that task.  At any rate I have never had anyone argue when I monitor temp lug welding.  (one of my heavy fab customers has a 10 year no lost time record, even if the Mailman mentioned a safety concern.....they would address it.)  Heheheee.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / NDE of Lifting lugs