Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Super duplex
- - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 01-29-2012 08:19
To weld a super duplex stainless steel A240 (S32750 )P No.10H to carbon steel A216 WCB  P No.1
Which Electrode is better ER 309 L Mo or ER NiCrMo-3 ? Is there any interpass restriction ? thickness was Cs 40 mm to 10 mm ss ?Why we use a higher Nickel base filler for Cs/stainless steel ?Is there any PWHT required or any heat control procedures ?
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 01-29-2012 13:45
Hi

You can easily weld the SDSS to C/S with the normal SDSS filler. If you need to perform PWHT to the C/S due to code requirements, then it would be best to butter the C/S side of the joint with the Inconel filler, perform PWHT and then weld the SDSS to C/S using an Inconel filler.

You can certainly also perform the weld with a 309 filler, but not sure why you would want to do that.

The question as to whether PWHT is required, needs to be answered by the code. At 40mm thick, for C/S, it would often be the case, but needs to be confirmed by looking at the relevant code. In terms of pre-heats and interpass temperatures, you would normally want to stick to temperatures that are between those that are most conservative. Normally for the SDSS, pre-heats and interpass temperatures need to be low, while for the thick C/S, they need to be higher. If possible select temperatures that are allowed by both. (e.g. Pre-heat for C/S:70°C (say) and max interpass for SDSS:150°C(say) - Then have a pre-heat of 70°C with max interpass of 150°C) If you are using a buttering of the C/S with a PWHT, then when welding against the SDSS, use the pre-heats and interpass temperatures you normally would use for SDSS.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By doyenofcastle (**) Date 01-29-2012 17:33
many thanks for your reply ,
I use ASME VIII , For PWHT if I weld the 40 mm to SDSS I need to do PWHT after joining ,AM I Right ?But I think there is a procedure to protect the SSDS?
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 01-30-2012 14:08
Hi

The procedure to protect the SDSS is to butter the steel with the Inconel filler, PWHT the steel, and then weld the SDSS to the butter layer on the steel. No PWHT after welding the SDSS to the butter layer. SDSS does not like PWHT. It will form intermetallics like sigma, ruining the material's corrosion and impact properties.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 01-30-2012 13:03
It would also depend upon the super duplex of which you speak. There is a concern with nitrogen bearing alloys being welded with Cb stabilized fillers, as is the case with NiCrMo-3. The combination precipitates columbium nitrides that have been shown in experiments to contribute to microfissuring. This issue gained most notoriety, with the utilization of NiCrMo-3 as the original workhorse filler for super austenitic and nitorgen containing AL6XN.
Parent - - By weldktm Date 06-10-2013 10:48
you could have a look to this link:
http://www.weldinguide.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=32
Parent - By Jim Hughes (***) Date 06-10-2013 11:29
Weldktm,
seems your pushing this web site (weldinguide.com) pretty hard. What do you know about the site?

Jim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Super duplex