Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Blue Books
- - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-29-2012 14:18
I have question for you pipe magicians. I have both the Pipefitters Blue Book and the Pipefabricators Blue Book. Both are written by WR Graves. They don't always agree though. For instance the measurements for a 12 on 12 branch .250 wall are way differant in one compared to the other. Any ideas why this might be?
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-29-2012 19:46
I'm not sure Pickupman but throw the black book in the mix and you've got a real head scratcher!! I know what you mean though, different stuff and you wonder which to use without having to cut up some 12" to see that it works better than the other.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-29-2012 20:09
Well I guess I needed to do a little more reading in the book. I think I figured out part of it. In the Pipe Fitters blue book it only talks about "standard weight" and "extra strong" pipe. I was going by the idea that .250 wall 12" was "standard weight" schedule 40 pipe. WRONG

In the Pipe Fabricators blue book it has a table that shows that 12" .250 wall is schedule 20 pipe, standard is .375 wall and schedule 40 is .406 wall.

So I guess you need to have both of them and check them both before you start marking stuff out. That means I get to do some shopping on pipefitter.com.:grin::grin:
Parent - By TRC (***) Date 01-29-2012 20:46 Edited 01-29-2012 21:55
Hey Tom, I did a couple practice test by laying it out without a template. Some gas companies allow a template- your still laying it out but just using a template.  Also a .375 wall template leaves a lot of grinding on .250 wall pipe. Two gas companies I test for use .250 and one uses .375. All three allow templates. Ted

Had to change that, the .375 wall temp, makes a lot of grind on 250 pipe- sorry
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-29-2012 20:58
Good info, thanks for posting that. Need to bury my head in those books more often but just don't need them much.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-29-2012 21:30
I have been laying out my test pieces with the blue book, and wanted something quicker. So I bought a template but it doesn't match up to my pieces when I get them fit up. Thats when I started checking things out and discovered all the different measurements in the blue books. I guess the template is for a different thickness of pipe. I found some real heavy paper so I'm going to lay out a template for the .250 wall we use for testing. Thanks for the feedback.:grin:
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 01-30-2012 02:03
I know an old cwi that told me about the templates a few months ago, asked me what thickness it was for and I said....."uhhh, the right one??" and he told me that different thickness of pipe will make a difference. I never really thought about it until he said something and when I drove home I ran it around in my pea brain and said, "oh yeah"(lightbulb moment). Different thickness equals larger o.d etc, layout changes.
Parent - - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 01-30-2012 11:07
Over on rigwelder.com under general welding questions there's a thread called 12 on 12 or branch saddle, this ol'boy lays it out and explains it in pics. hope this helps
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 01-31-2012 01:15
That was me Hillbilly.:grin: I was just trying to figure out the blue books.
Parent - By HillbillyWelder (**) Date 01-31-2012 10:54
oooooops!! I guess I should have paid more attention to the who posted the info.
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 02-02-2012 03:55
I have found the "store bought" templates to be good for small pipe under 4" in general fabrication where a perfect fit is not needed. For me anything that I want a perfect fit on I make my own template out if brass shim stock. Lay out my fit with the blue book, grind for the perfect fit then use that piece to make my template with. Aluminum flashing you buy in a roll at the hardware store works decent also if you cant find brass shim stock. In my experience "round" pipe is a relative term, especially with large and or thinner wall thickness. This adds much headache to achieving that perfect fit. I use brass shim stock for templates on many different kinds of steel not just pipe. I have a huge assortment just for I and H beams. Works good for me.
Parent - - By Pickupman (***) Date 02-02-2012 04:02
Thanks Wade. I have been making some out of gasket material which is pretty close to what a wrap around is made out of. I hadn't thought about brass or alunium. Good idea and should last forever.
Parent - By weldwade (***) Date 02-02-2012 04:34
They don't react well when stepped on by your helper... so the helper got another lesson!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Blue Books