Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D 1.1 2010 -Table 4.5 # 34-Essential Variable
- - By Nalla (***) Date 01-30-2012 21:20
Dear Friends
Pls provide best possible clarification/definition asap
The omission, but no inclusion, of backing or backgouging
1st i prefer to break it up
1- Omission of backing or backgouging- If PQR qualified with backing ( backing weld/backing strip/metallic strip) or backgouging, then this  PQR also can be used for single-sided  production welding. But is it can be used to do back-weld on internal side where accessible( root side-no backing/backgouging done ) for weld repair touch-ups?
2- No inclusion of backing or backgouging- If existing PQRis single-sided without backing or backgouging, then backing or backgouging cannot be done.

Thanks
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 01-30-2012 22:24
Nalla

I believe you have it wrong when you say;   "2- No inclusion of backing or backgouging- If existing PQRis single-sided without backing or backgouging, then backing or backgouging cannot be done."    When the WPQR is qualified without backing, backing may be used without further qualification.
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 01-31-2012 01:25
Joe answered #2.

1- Omission of backing or backgouging- If PQR qualified with backing ( backing weld/backing strip/metallic strip) or backgouging, then this  PQR also can be used for single-sided  production weldingyes, if backing is used!. But is it can be used to do back-weld on internal side where accessible( root side-no backing/backgouging done ) for weld repair touch-ups?yes
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 02-05-2012 10:59
Hi Nalla

I want to re-inforce the answers given by the other people by saying the following:

I believe that you need to change the way in which you are reading Table 4.5. The statement:  "The omission, but no inclusion, of backing or backgouging." Needs to be understood as:

The essential variable that requires you to re-qualify the WPS is: "The omission of backing or backgouging."

As with many of the other essential variables, it then goes on to say that the reverse is not true. They do this by stating that, the inclusion of backing or backgouging is not an essential variable. I must however agree that they could make it a little cleared by using two sentences rather than trying to cram it into one.

I will attach the relevant section of Table 4.5 for greater clarity.

Regards
Niekie
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / AWS D 1.1 2010 -Table 4.5 # 34-Essential Variable