Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Silver soldering
- - By Kix474 (*) Date 12-18-2002 03:39
We r doing inch and a quarter dia copper tubing with the silver soldering process. We r doin tube to tube where one tube slides down in the other tube and don't know if the solder should be running all the way down to the end of the tube where it saddles way down in the other tube. We cut a practice one apart and the solder is not running down to this point only about half way. Question is should it and is there a code that specifies this how deep it shouild go? Thanx for any help i can get..
Parent - - By supermechanic (**) Date 12-18-2002 03:50
What is the application? Code requirements vary on app. Depending on the alloy, the braze joint( silver solder is really a brazing process)could be as short as 3x the thickness of the tubing. We need more info, thanks, Ed.
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-18-2002 14:11
Heat will pull the solder, are you heating where you need the solder to go to?
John Wright
Parent - By chall (***) Date 01-06-2003 15:08
I've never seen a code that covered soldering. ASME IX covers brazing. Braze filler metal melts at or around 825F. Solder melts around 400F.

When I was new we had a client that wanted us to qualify a BPS. The problem was they also specified the use of a solder. We chased our tail for awhile before we realized it would not work out.

From my experience, the term silver solder is sometimes misused. If you are talking about brazing with a silver based filler, ASME IX lays out all the requirements for a PQR.
Charles Hall
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Silver soldering