Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Welding material
- - By vdao3004 (**) Date 02-01-2012 22:07
Ladies and gentlemen,
I have WPS qualified with 316L Welding material and charpy test:
  1) I can i change the welding Matl to 316 with out requalification.
   2) because it is Impact WPS, so can I down grade the WPS to non im[act with new 316 Welding material.
  3) some customer do not allowed us to use 316L W-material on 316 base metal becuase the corrosion matter. is it correct?
Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 02-05-2012 11:23
Hi Vdao

1) The welding filler metal "classification" is a supplementary essential variable. If the PQR test was done with an ER316L filler, a change to ER316 would constitute a change in "classification". Thus, you will need to re-qualify.
2) If the application as described in the design and fabrication code does not require you to perform impact testing, you can use the same PQR (which has the impact testing) and draw up a different WPS for applications without impact testing in which you may change the classification of the filler metal.
3) The restriction on using 316L on 316 base metal will not be due to corrosion concerns, because generally 316L would display better corrosion resistance than 316. The concern is usually that the 316 is specified because it has better high temperature properties, and the customer is concerned that the use of 316L filler will make the weld under strength at these elevated temperatures. Hence the requirement on using 316 filler. Generally if this is the case, then low temperature impact properties would in any case not be a concern, so the supplementary essential variables will not be specified.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - By vdao3004 (**) Date 02-06-2012 02:26
Thanks,
V-Dao
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Welding material