Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.2 Fillet Welder Qualification testing
- - By Mwccwi (***) Date 02-02-2012 13:09
For D1.2 Fillet Welder Performance Qualification Figure 3.32 shows the test assembly to be 4ā€™ X 8ā€, I do not see a minimum specified anywhere as is indicated on the groove weld test assemblies. 
My dilemma is that I ordered material for weld testing coupons and the Machine shop mistakenly beveled all of the plates, when they should have only beveled half of the quantity.  So no Iā€™m not sure that I can use this material for the fillet welds because the plate have this  bevel on 1 side each.
I'm thinking that as long as I put the beveled edges to the outside of test assembly, that i should be ok.
I'm not sure if i can defend this if an Auditor challenges that the the actual test assembly is different that the D1.2 Fillet Welder Performance Qualification Figure 3.32.

I'm looking for facts and opinions to help me with a little dilemma.
Parent - - By PWCameron (**) Date 02-02-2012 18:01
You're being too pickie...
When you fill out the paperwork, how would an auditor know if there was a bevel?  Are the plates 4x8xT?

Use the plates.
PWC
Parent - - By Mwccwi (***) Date 02-02-2012 18:33
PWCameron,
Thanks for input.

"Are the plates 4x8xT?"
The plates are 4X8XT except for the portion of T that is beveld @ 30 degrees.
Attachment: T.25-bevel.pdf (3k)
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 02-03-2012 10:59
Yup... Just use the plates.

I make PQR plates out of A500, 4x4x3/8 sq/tubing.

Use what's available.
PWC
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.2 Fillet Welder Qualification testing