Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 300d ?
- - By weldaboy (**) Date 02-03-2012 18:30
Does ne body know much bout the older 300d with the 4 cylinder continental motors? R they worth a crap?
Parent - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-03-2012 21:22
I think you mean the 300G and the few people that I know you have run them on there trucks seemed to be please.  Wasn't a real popular machine. Check your equip wanted post I made you an offer.
Parent - - By empire welding (**) Date 02-03-2012 21:28 Edited 02-03-2012 21:31
i have a 96 classic IIID with 4000 hrs on it. I like it bought it used with 2800.  Finding parts isn't to bad for the continental TMD 27 if the price is right I would get it.  I been working with a guy that has over 11000 hours on the motor and generator.  You can get parts through weld mart online or a number of other places.  Wisconsin motors bought out Continental but they have all the parts diagrams and numbers.
Parent - - By weldaboy (**) Date 02-04-2012 01:14
Ya its not a G its a D. He said its the sane motor that was in the 250 machine. I was just wondering if there was a reason that don't use those motors be more.
Parent - - By rcwelding (***) Date 02-05-2012 00:03
I work with a guy that has one with 7000hrs on it..  He just had to put injectors in because he didn't change his filters very often.  He said thats the only thing he has ever done to it... It is a sweet machine..!!!  I have welded with it a bit.. I knocks kinda like a Detroit but not as noisy as a Detroit diesel.  He said it has always sounded like that since it was brand new..
Parent - By yojimbo (***) Date 02-06-2012 17:03
I've got a 97 Classic III D with the Continental TM 27, purchased used in 2001 with 2800 hrs for $6500.  Has about 8000 hrs now and has been a trusted piece of equipment since the day I bought it.  Always liked the machines durability, versatility, power capacity, duty cycle and smooth arc.  Over the years have done a lttle work to it, water pump 4 yr ago, probably cost 3-400.  Belts naturally, a battery or two and finally replaced all main generator and exciter brushes when the arc just snuffed itself out doing the root of an API butt weld during my test. Inspector was pretty cool, let me locate a repair guy, get the brushes replaced and come back to finish with the option of a new coupon.  Made the test.  Funny part was looking at the main generator brushes that came out of the machine, some were worn down to smaller than a little kids pinky nail.  I then understood why I had been having to adjust my amperage up so much from my regular settings.  It's economical, I can burn 3/16 70+ for 20 hours with it before a fueling, so even with the price of diesel it's not bad. It does have a chip board that can go out for an expensive 300 dollar bill and the price of injectors has gone through the roof [about 200 ea.] and the maintenance schedule calls for an oil change every 50 hours, but it uses 30w and a Phram 8A filter so not so bad.  If the machine you're looking at has been well taken care of it should sell around the low 3-4000 dollar range.  A buddy of mine bought a new 07 Classic III D with the Perkins and had a lot of trouble with it.  Ended up having it re-wound somewhere in LA, which killed his warranty, but he's a knucklehead who couldn't change his own oil with directions.  I would for sure pay for another 96/97 continental drive welder if the price was right and the machine was well cared for, but I may just be being sentimental.  Continental is out of business and no longer making them, parts are availale but as stated at a premium.  800 922 5632 is the phone number for a Continental supply house if you need to price anything before buying the machine.  They are a bit loud as you mention, I would have a generator mechanic look/listen to it before purchase to eliminate any worry of the journal being bad, would most likely quiet down and do the injectors some good to run some Lucas or Power serve through it from time to time.  Workhorse of a machine in my opinion, one of the best Lincoln ever built, but I'm partial.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 300d ?