Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / my version of an existing bottle cart design
- - By aevald (*****) Date 02-05-2012 23:06
Hello everyone, I have often needed to set-up for GTAW or GMAW/FCAW on a jobsite or inside of a facility to perform work. Lugging bottles around and finding someplace to safely tie them off can sometimes be a challenge or at least be time consuming. Quite some time ago I was fortunate enough to come across one of these that had been commercially produced, here is a version of that cart that I put together for our shop at the school. We have machines that students are converting from FCAW/gas shielded to GMAW spray quite often, so instead of changing bottles out, we can roll this one up and simply disconnect and reconnect the quick-connect on the existing set-up. I've still got some work to do on it, but it's close to being finished and ready for some paint. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 02-05-2012 23:30
I like the design!  Nice work!  Shopping cart casters?
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-06-2012 00:19
Thanks Joe, the casters are actually from an old hospital bed. The rest of the parts are recycled from odds and ends that I have collected over time. I have an unfortunate habit of being a bit of a pack rat. However, the bits and pieces that I have collected have come in handy many times. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-06-2012 00:58
Looks good.
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 02-06-2012 01:53
Looks great. I have used those types of bottle carts alot, I would put wider casters if it would go anywhere that isn't flat level floor and a set of handle bars that would get the feet a little father away from the caster legs. That being said I really like it good job. Those thinner casters get stuck in the grating sometimes.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-06-2012 04:14
Hello scrappywelds, I understand what you're saying, fortunately this cart will be living out it's life inside of a community college welding shop so it probably won't experience the many sorts of obstacles that you are referring to. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-06-2012 14:22
Looks like a professional job.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-06-2012 17:54
Good design. May I suggest if you have a manifold to minimize "loose" cylinders; to switch between scmt & spray or FCAW use a 85% Argon 15% CO2. My students switch between spray, sheet metal, open root scmt to fill & cover with GMAW-P or FCAW with a dual feeder with just one gas. If they need to certify or practice test to certify for a specific gas than we bring in that cylinder for that application. Cuts down on having an eclectic mix of cylinders.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-07-2012 00:33
Hello 357max, unfortunately we don't have manifolded gas or mixers, so we need to bring in different gas bottle types when changing out applications. In our geographical area, 90/10 or 98/02 (02 being oxygen) are the two prevalent mixes for GMAW spray or GMAWP transfer. I have run the 85/15 before, but it was probably 27 years ago or so and from a time when I was living in Portland, Ore.
     We actually stock the majority of our gas as 75/25 (use it on flux-core and solid wire, short-circuit transfer), then we have some "steelmix", a type of tri-mix gas for GMAW steel, another mixture called "stainless mix", a tri-mix gas for stainless steel GMAW, 90/10 for steel GMAW, 98/02 for steel GMAW, and of course a bit of CO2. This mixture of gases pretty much covers most of the shielding gases that are used in our area. We do try to have the students experience the differences that a change in shielding gas can make. Other times we will intentionally have an "incorrect" gas mixture applied to a particular wire type to show the students what to look for and why a particular gas type might be less applicable or maybe even not be an acceptable choice. Thanks for your reply. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-07-2012 04:46
Hello everyone, got a little more time to work on my bottle cart. Tidied up the bottle chain system, added a handle, and did install a positive locking system for the fold-down crazy wheels. Here are some additional pictures. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By JCP (*) Date 02-13-2012 04:04
slick
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / my version of an existing bottle cart design