Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Hours for MT
- - By unclematt (***) Date 02-06-2012 18:03
Hello;
I have been working at getting the hours needed for MT Level II. I was informed this morning that the required hours have gone up from 280 hrs to 530 hrs. This is with the 280 in the discipline alone and the remaining hours in NDT in general. Is this something new? It appears that the table on the ASNT website has been revised for the current year. I believe that VT counts for 200 hrs. If I go for the ACCP Level II for CWI's, can I count that as time in NDE? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Matt
Parent - - By ANDTLIII Date 02-06-2012 19:42
Matt,

The required work experience hours for level MT I is 70 with a total hours in NDT as 130. The required work experience hours for MT level II is 210 with a total hours in NDT as 400. This is from the 2006 Edition of SNT-TC-1A.  You may want to check your employers written practice because that is what you will have to live by for your particular circumstances.
As far as counting 200 hours in VT, it is possible, but then again it should be stated in your employers written practice.  You should be talking to your quality manager or NDT Level III to get the correct answer for your situation.  You will get alot of answers on this forum, however, each employer has its own written practice that is taylored to their specific needs.

Hope this helps,

John
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 02-06-2012 19:56
Hello John;
Thanks for the response. My employer's requirements are the same as ASNT for the hours needed. I spoke to my manager this morning about that. I just don't remember the hours being that way when I looked on the ASNT website last year but then again, my rememberer is broken half the time and doesn't work right the rest. When I saw the 2012 revision, I thought maybe something had changed. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond. Have a good day.

Matt
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Hours for MT