Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Online courses
- - By unclematt (***) Date 02-06-2012 19:29
Hello;
I am considering getting an AS in Welding Technology. I have been looking into online courses as an alternative to getting my basics out of the way. I know that I have to be on campus for the hands on portion/classes. Has anyone here gone this route? Any pros/cons? Any replies appreciated.

Thanks;
Matt
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 02-07-2012 01:48
I am taking an online course right now, it is my first.  It is OK I suppose, but I would rather take it in person.  I waste a lot of time writing and editing my writing.  It takes more energy to communicate by typing than by talking.

This particular course though is very well put together and easy to navigate, so it is a pretty good experience so far.

The drop out / fail rate for online courses can be pretty high in general.  They aren't the best for a lot of folks, particularly those without very good reading comprehension and decent writing skills.  But some people really like the convenience of working online v. keeping to a schedule in person.
Parent - By unclematt (***) Date 02-07-2012 15:04
Blaster;
Thanks for the response. I am looking into online courses as a way to try to manage my time a little better. I work ten hours a day with about an hour and a half drive to and from work. The convienence of working at my own pace is a big plus. One downside I see is there isn't the instant feedback you would get from being in a class with an instructor. I will have to think on it a bit more.

Have a good day;
Matt
Parent - - By boblankgh Date 10-18-2012 05:45
Blaster, can please post the link, so I can try something of that sort
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 10-18-2012 14:22
The course I was taking online was "Reading Apprenticeship" which teaches teachers how to more effectively teach reading comprehension skills, nothing related to weldnig or a welding degree.

Would you still like a link?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / Online courses