Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Dwell Time / Temperature
- - By rshanks (**) Date 02-07-2012 14:58
Would anyone know common practice on dwell time for capillary action when using diesel for leak through testing and temperature ranges?
50F - 125F ??

Thanks RS
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-07-2012 17:41
Are you serious??

If you are using Diesel fuel, then obviously you are not following any code requirements per ASTM. 
If that is the case whatever makes you comfortable, I'd say 15 min, just make sure it doesn't evoporate, and that it stays wet.

Sound like a job for the Farm Code, maybe some of these guys can help ya.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-07-2012 18:14 Edited 02-07-2012 18:22
Way back yonder, when I was a "Tankie", we gave the diesel at least a half an hour. A day or two after the weld was made, rust will cover it and give a nice contrast to help see the "wet spot". Usually, we would apply the penetrant before lunch break. A pin hole in the bottom of a soda can, some tie wire on it to drop into the fuel tank of the Lincoln 450 and it would make a nice little stream to test the wall to floor welds.
This works great and diesel with talcum powder as the developer WAS the original Liquid Penetrant Test Kit.
ANST and Magnaflux sure aren't going to make any money off of this antiquated method. But it works just fine "For Informational Purposes ONLY!!!!"
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 02-07-2012 18:18
Chris they use this method on large tanks....not sure what code it follows, but I've heard that is has been used sucessfully to find leaks in large tanks or weldments that have to hold liquid. Dusting flour along the backside of the joint as a developer and any leak will show up as the flour will stick to and absorb the diesel fuel.

I'm sure others who use this method can chime in and give us more info. I've only heard about it being done, I've never actually used it.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-07-2012 18:24
FWIW, I just dug through my copy of the AWWA which is what I was working to back then. But did not find anything.
- - By rshanks (**) Date 02-07-2012 22:35
Without naming Major Power Generating common erectors, This is a very common requested practice in their specifications, I know it's not recognized per a ASTM standard, but we give the owners what they specify in their specs. Just doing leak through testing on seal welds on air duct. I'm relativley new to the company I'm employed with, In which they have no form of procedure to cover this. It's alot quiker then vacuum box testing. Thanks
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-08-2012 11:39
I have heard of the practise, I just didn't realize anyone still did it for real work.  Yes around the shop for self interest but not for an actual inspection.

Well you learn something new everyday.
Parent - - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 02-08-2012 20:15
oil and whiting?
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 02-09-2012 11:33
yup
- By jbndt (**) Date 02-12-2012 17:35
Baking flour and “ORRD” (Off Road Red Diesel) in a Hudson Sprayer (pump-up weed sprayer) provides a nice contrast …

Be careful about using talcum powder as the developer … It’s been known to cause vaginal infections ….  :eek:

Cheers,
jb
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Dwell Time / Temperature