Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Plug Weld Gap in Fit up
- - By eekpod (****) Date 02-07-2012 16:56
Everyone,
I hanven't had a chance to look it up yet.

Am I allowed a gap in the fit up of two members when a plug weld is called for?

I know the tolerance for fillets, but not plugs.

I have two 1" thick plates that are rolled and the radiusus(sp) don't always match for the entire length, I have a slight gap here and there (up to 1/16" so far).
Since it's a plug weld and it calls to be filled 5/8" full, does it matter if I have a gap in the fit up?

I'm concerend about putting too much stress clamping them together to get the gap out because when we release the clamps the force will be fighting to pull it apart versus just welding them in the natural radius state.

I'm curious to your input.
Thanks
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 02-07-2012 17:52
Never mind, found it.

5.22.1.1 Faying Surfaces- "The seperation between faying surfaces of plug and slot welds, and of butt joints landing on a backing shall not exceed 1/16".  Where irregularities in rolled shapes occur atfer straighteneing do not allow contact within the above limites, the procedure neccessary to bring the material within these limits shall be subject to the approval of the Engineer."
Parent - By PWCameron (**) Date 02-08-2012 13:21
I love it when an Inspector picks up a code book and is able to "Put your finger on it."

Don't get lazy.  Ask the question after you've tried to put your finger on it... not before.
It'll make you a better inspector.

PWC
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Plug Weld Gap in Fit up