Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Robotic MIG Welding
- - By tshannon Date 12-19-2002 20:42
Being a mechanicl designer and not a welder I could use some input on robotic mig welding. When MIG welding robotically is it better to push or pull the welds. Also what is the optimal torch angle. The material I'm welding are mild steel stampings 3-4 mm thick. Most of the joints are lap joints. Any input would be helpful
Parent - By JINX (*) Date 12-19-2002 21:10
Visit Ed Craig's site at www.weldreality.com
It is my opinion Ed is the leading robotic GMAW expert in this country, he will give you the proper answer.
Parent - By drsmano Date 12-28-2002 23:13
Dear Sir,

You can pull the weld and use the torch angle of 70 to 80degrees.

Dr.S.Manoharan
Parent - By kam (**) Date 01-07-2003 18:07
You could probally use either a push or a pull. I would set your WORK angle at the standard 45 deg. On thinner materials I generally use about a 5 degree push (TRAVEL angle). Pushing gives you less penetration and on thin materials the push is used when burnthrough is a problem.

Hope this helps

kam
Parent - By ROBO-WELD (*) Date 01-11-2003 00:44
Remember,, the robot only carries the torch. The welding process usually isn't any different than if you were carrying the torch yourself. As far as your question; " kam " is right on. If things start to change; like you want to pick up your speed from 40 IPM to 140 IPM or weld vertical instead of flat or go to twin wire guns with twin parameters, then we may have to step back and take another approach. Need more info?? Help ya when and if I can......... Larry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Robotic MIG Welding