Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A841 Class II
- - By R. Johnson (**) Date 12-20-2002 14:21
Does anyone have experience welding this material? I am looking for guidance in selecting a SAW welding wire and flux to use on plate for pressure vessel applications. The SAW process will be a tandem application with an AC trailer behind DC+. I want to be able to obtain the matching tensile strength and also achieve charpy values of 20 ft-lbs at -50F. Your input and comments would be greatly appreciated.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 12-20-2002 14:53
I looked in the D1.1 for matching filler to base metal, but they didn't list ASTM A841 in the materials category.

Does anyone know if ASME has a filler/base metal matching chart like D1.1's Table 3.1?

John Wright
Parent - By Niekie3 (***) Date 12-25-2002 18:59
ASME IX does not have a base metal - filler metal matching chart. It merely lists both base metal and filler metal in their own tables, showing which P or F number they belong to.

Regards
Niekie Jooste
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 12-25-2002 19:09
What you need is the table in the back of the book "Weldability of Steels" by R. D. Stout. I don't have my copy here at home, or I would look it up for you. ASME IX lists A814 as a P-10C, C-Mn-Si steel. Tensile strength is in the 70 ksi range. I'm not sure what sets this apart from a P-1 carbon steel. A good source of info on weld material selection is the folks at ESAB in Hanover, Pennsylvania (formerly Alloy Rods). You might go to their website at www.esabna.com, find their toll-free number (or direct at (717)-637-8911), give them a call and ask for technical support department. I have found them very helpful on similar questions in the past.

Marty
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASTM A841 Class II