Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW Solid Wire Pulse
- - By TimGary (****) Date 02-14-2012 15:26
I'm experimenting with .045 and .052 wire dia pulse.
Carbon Steel, 90/10 Ar/CO2 sheilding.
I'm liking it but having trouble nailing down the .052 settings.
Trying to maximize deposition rates.
Is anybody using this in a manufacturing type setting?
Any advice?

Thanks,
Tim Gary
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-15-2012 13:09
There are certainly some guys in here that can help you more than I but keep in mind maximizing depostion rates (regardless of what the marketers say) is counter to what pulsing is all about.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 02-15-2012 13:32
What do you use the pulse feature for, heat input control, fumes, something else?  Based on the wire size, it seems like you would be in flat position.  Not sure pulse will do anything meaningful for you from a productivity/deposition rate standpoint.

I like full-on (non-pulse) spray, as much wire as you can handle to get the desired weld size.  Most guys will not be able to run at much over 15-18 IPM travel speed.  I generally set the wire, and then get the volts up to where you dont have very many "crackles" in the sound of the arc.  .052 is gonna want a lot of amps to run in full spray, so you will want quite a bit of torch.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-15-2012 16:34
We're currently using pulse .035 wire for our light gage, out of position welding and spray with .035, .045 and .052 wire in the flat position for heavy structure.
I'm looking at the pulse partly for extra puddle control while switching to higher deposition .052 versus .035, and as a means to reduce spatter and undercut defects, both manually and robotically.
I realize that tweaking wire feed speed and technique can help alot, rather than switching to pulse, but as we have the equipment already, I like the extra versatility with pulse that you can get from being able to fine tune the arc for different weld profiles.
Also, just the reduction in spatter alone would almost be complete justification, in my opinion.
I'm hoping to get advice from people who have been down this road before, do's and don'ts kind of thing, suggested settings, etc.
We're using Miller Axcess weld equipment with Tregaskiss Tough Guns.

Thanks for the replies,
Tim Gary
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-15-2012 17:51
Just a thought Tim..   I don't have experience with that dia in production but I know somebody who does  :)

Ed Craigs books on GMAW process control are the best things I've seen..  He publishes nothing unless it has been proven many times in production.... They are inexpensive and cover most of the bases.   Seems basic but maybe it would help?

Also,   I've got some guys in the neighborhood who are having some great succsess with .052 Metal Core with GMAWP... Some even with a Fronius Tandem dual feed system with Pulse in front and traditional spray trailing..  Excellent PQR results.

Prolly everything in Ed's book are free on his website as well..   But you have to put up with hundereds of pages of ranting to get to the gold!
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-16-2012 17:24 Edited 02-17-2012 11:49
Hi Lawrence, appreciate the reply.

While I've never purchased Ed Craig's products, I've looked at his website several times and see a lot of sense in what he says, after weeding through all the egotistical BS.
I agree that he definately knows his stuff and has probly forgotten more about welding than I'll ever know.
I made the mistake of asking my boss once if I could buy some of Ed's training materials concerning Robotics. That's when I received a 30 minute lecture about the reason why our sister company still uses short circuit transfer, in semi structural applications, and has a huge spatter problem, is a result of hiring Ed Craig as a consultant.
While I understand that a company that does not have pulse capable machines doesn't have to run out and buy them to make product, I don't think that means that a company that is pulse capable shouldn't use it...
So, anyway, The words Ed and Craig used together in my office is a dirty word... :confused:

I saw some dual wire robotics for the first time this year at Fabtech. That really looks like the way to go, and I would push for it if we were buying new equipment. Right now I'm trying to get the most use out of what we have.

Thanks for the input,
Tim
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 02-16-2012 20:56
Who's dual wire application was it?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-16-2012 21:03 Edited 02-16-2012 21:06
The Dual wire work I was discussing, and I don't think I'm giving away any secrets here, since some in depth discussion of the PQR's was had during an AWS section meeting hosted by their facility was done by Fairbanks Morse, who  qualified the procedure for some DOD work. 

Bill Behnke was the genius who put the thing together from top to bottom.  He left Wisconsin for greener pastures not long ago...  I miss him.  He is a patient man who does not resent having his brain picked by those lesser than himself.

For those who don't know Bill, he is one of the top process control men on the planet and has made a career of solving problems for the auto majors and various other manufacturers.  Bill is also very active in AWS committee work.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 02-16-2012 21:30
I was impressed with the dual wire set up that CLOOS had at Fabtech.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 02-17-2012 15:03
Many moons ago I spent a week at Cloos in Schaumberg researching and training on the tandem wire equipment. Nice facility, well informed people. It is excellent equipment. However, for my use I do not see robotics (articulating arm automation) working well in pipe fabrication, which was my field. It would be unbeatable on large widgits, like Caterpillar assemblies where I watched it operate. You can lay down almost 50 lbs per hour deposition. But not on pipe.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-17-2012 02:11
"But you have to put up with hundereds of pages of ranting to get to the gold! "

How else is He going to get You to buy the book?:grin:
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-17-2012 02:24
I wish I had the experience to help You out. .035 to .052 is a huge jump, while only .017 larger in diameter, it is 220% greater in cross sectional area. I am interested to hear how this works out.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 02-15-2012 15:13
I can't give you any tips but I am curious, what kind of gun do you like for this?
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / GMAW Solid Wire Pulse