Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Do you have your part correctly clamped before sawing it?
- - By aevald (*****) Date 02-16-2012 21:23
Hello folks, this has come up before as an issue in our school shop. I would guess that a few of you out there have had similar experiences. Yesterday, one of the students decided to saw some parts and in the process ended up destroying a rather expensive saw blade. Not necessarily an uncommon occurrence, yet it brought me to put some effort into providing a method of enlightenment for our shop patrons. So maybe some of you out there could use a pictorial such as this to enlighten some of your machinery operators to avoid similar issues. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-17-2012 02:31
There is a reason why those short scraps don't get thrown in the scrap bin.

For holding really short sections using lengths of flat stock and the spacer to extend the grip of the vise right up to the blade helps too.

I don't have any way to post a picture of this, but I am sure Allan and many others know what I am describing.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 02-17-2012 03:40
Hello Dave, I do know what you are referring to. I have also "tack welded" sections of material to angle iron or other longer shapes in order to be able to cut them without fear of causing blade or machine damage. Since you have mentioned it I will see about including some pictures when I get the opportunity. Not everything is necessarily considered correct, but at times you do what is necessary to get the job done with the least amount of additional headache. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 02-18-2012 00:20 Edited 02-18-2012 00:27
Hello All, came up with a little something additional to add here. Would appreciate any and all similar sorts of suggestions or examples from others out there. I believe everyone is always looking for simpler, more accurate, or more creative way to use their equipment. As always, though, safety also needs to be at the forefront. Best regards, Allan
Attachment: Viceclampingexplanation.bmp (820k)
Parent - - By Mat (***) Date 02-25-2012 00:26 Edited 02-25-2012 00:29
Used to do a lot of bandsawing up north.

On more than one occasion, to save material and use up shorter bits (SHORTer bits) to short to clamp, I would end up tacking some longer lengths of the stock to the back of it, which worked well.  Shimming can make all the difference in the world.  Bandsawing cylindrical bits was always fun as when the clamp was tightened, the part would rise slightly.  I would tap it down and re-tighten and that seemed to do the trick.  Shimming makes for nice straight cuts at any angle.

What's fun is when you slide the clamp shut on the piece of 1 1/4" roundbar...and forget to tighten it. :roll:  "Oh, look at that!  It's spinning!"
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 02-25-2012 08:51
"and forget to tighten it.   "Oh, look at that!  It's spinning!"
With proper tension and angle of the dangle, you'll have Acme Threads...

Just joking of course...
Proper jigs and fixturing is very important and an "Art Form".
Must be safe at all costs.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Do you have your part correctly clamped before sawing it?