Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / 1945 hobart Question
- - By grizzzly (**) Date 02-17-2012 01:21
A friend has this old Hobart welder I think it is somewhere between a 1945 and 1952 year model, he had a it running a few years ago and it worked fine.
How much is this thing worth
Here is a link to a few pictures of it
http://grizzzly.smugmug.com/Other/Hobart-welder/21505711_9Kt5Ts
Parent - By almeraz83 (**) Date 02-17-2012 04:21
i live in houston tx and work in virginia and one thing i have notice it varies by region. texas, louisiana, and oklahoma tend to be more expensive i think do to all the oil refineries specially with the pipeliner welders. diesel tend to be more desirable because they tend to burn less fuel and sometimes welders can get free off road diesel from the work sites.  here in houston if your patient enough between $1,000 to $1,500 if its in decent condition. good luck. david
Parent - - By 65 Pipeliner (**) Date 02-17-2012 14:50
I just bought a Hobart GF-250 that runs and welds for less than $500 here in Kansas. Not much information on them available, but you can order manuals from Hobart's web site. Tommyjoking gave me a number to call, Charlie at Custom Controls, (501) 562-7643. Good luck.

Chris
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-17-2012 19:51
Wow bi-fold doors....???

I called Charlie just the other day and the phone is out...dunno whats up with that.
Parent - By grizzzly (**) Date 02-18-2012 05:51
I have a 1953 400 amp Hobart and it is one of the best DC machines I have ever used (when it wants to run, but that is a whole other story. My Hobart and this machine have the same engine. The flat 6 is a good engine but the exciter can be a pain in the ass. This is a vintage machine you have to keep an eye on it and oil stuff every few hours, and if you do that it doesn’t have a problem burning rod all day long.
I think the machine in my OP would look really nice if someone was to restore it

BTW here is a pic of my machine
- - By mstout8807 Date 03-09-2012 04:27
I was wondering if these old Hobarts are good for welding pipe.  I know of a late welder who used one back in the day.  He swore by Hobart or Lincoln.  He said he connected leads with a Lincoln and burned up the Lincoln with it.  I guess they took bets on whose welder was stronger.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 03-10-2012 15:33
I love my old Hobart, it is a freaking beast, but it is not serious vintage like the ones Grizzly is talking bout.  I think as those machines rack up the hours they just get smoother and better as they go.
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Welding Equipment Classifieds / 1945 hobart Question