Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Simple Question???
- - By Bubba01 (*) Date 02-17-2012 18:54
Hello all I have a Question it seems every inspector I ask I get a different answer, so I would like anyone else input Please. Is FCAW process consider a Spray tranfer or Globualar. Some inspectors tell me to be spray you need to use at least 90% argon. Others say you can be in spray mode using 100% carbon dioxode I guess I can take an online survey and go with the general consenus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 02-17-2012 19:53
I don't know why your asking but be aware that for pre-qualified WPS variables for FCAW "mode of transfer" is not a an essential variable per Table 3.8 so you can leave it blank.

Of course you may want to know for informational purposes.  You can do a search on this forum it has been discussed in the past.
Parent - - By 357max (***) Date 02-18-2012 00:10
FCAW is a process as GMAW but GMAW has 4 transfer modes. Spray or Globular is a function of the type of FCAW wire. Just as SMAW ~ the electrode classification or even the manufacturer of electrode and its flux determines if the metal transfered across the arc is globular or spray.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-01-2012 23:08
There's actually 5.
Short Circuit, Globular, Spray, Pulsed, and High Current Density Rotational Spray.
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 03-02-2012 12:06
Hey js55,

I'm familiar with short circuit, Globular, spray, pulsed spray and Lincoln's STT or Miller's RMD (same thing).
What the heck is "High Current Density Rotational Spray"?

Tim
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 03-02-2012 13:07
If you do a google search on GMAW transfer modes there will be a praxair doc come up. It has as good an explanation of it as I've read.
Basically though its high deposition transfer (up to ~ 50 lbs per hour or so) wherein specific combinations of gases, long electrical stick out,  surface tension forces etc., cause a helical action to take place at the end of the wire.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 03-02-2012 15:25
Well if your going to get esoteric

Look into "burried arc" transfer

Add one more to your list.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 03-02-2012 20:47
There you go. We have 6.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 02-18-2012 02:06
Max

357 said it perfectly!

If the droplets that transfer are smaller than the wire diameter it's spray.

There are some E71T-1 electrodes out there that spray with 100% CO2...
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 02-18-2012 03:30
Hi Bubba

Whenever I see "simple question", I know it will have a sting in the tail! I believe you have received a perfectly good answer from 357max, but I though I would put my spinn on it.

The way I think of FCAW, is a little like saying that FCAW is like SMAW, only the electrode is inside out. Wire outside and flux inside, instead of wire inside and flux outside. So, why do we not ask what transfer mode are we welding with a SMAW electrode? Because it does not really matter! The "transfer mode" is decided before hand by the electrode manufacturer, based on the flux coating and the recommended amperage rating. We can not actually change it, so why bother worrying about it? In the same way, the "transfer mode" when welding FCAW is decided by the electrode manufacturer, based on the usability that the manufacturer is trying to achieve with the particular elctrode. If you weld within the recommended Voltage and Amperage range given by the manufacturer, is it really important what "transfer mode" you got? The electrode classification will tell you its usability in terms of position, electrode polarity and gas to use, so why even bother with the type of transfer? The only answer is that some codes (like ASME IX) lump FCAW and GMAW together as one process. As the transfer mode is VERY important for GMAW, and is dependent on the voltage, amperage and gas composition etc, this same importance is imparted to FCAW, which is actually irrational. As long as you do not record "dip transfer" (which you will never have with FCAW) on your PQR, it will make no difference to what you can do with the qualification later on.

I would challenge any inspector that tells me that the WPS is not being followed because the transfer type on the WPS is "Globular" and the welder is actually welding with "Spray". Proove it will be my challenge! Keep in mind that in the case of FCAW, you are not just transferring metal accross the arc, but also moulten flux, so it all becomes rather messy!

In the case of FCAW, I always record "globular" for the transfer mode, as it does not make a difference once you take the other usability designators of the electrode into account.

Just my spinn on this topic.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By PWCameron (**) Date 02-18-2012 11:51
Nice explanation Niekie.
PWC
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 02-19-2012 19:43
I record "NA" in the space marked transfer mode.

Al
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 02-20-2012 11:23
I also put "N/A" also since it's not required and then potentially leaves it up to someone else to challenge it if they want.
- - By Bubba01 (*) Date 02-22-2012 12:56
Thanks for all your input I have had two outside inspectors argue with me on the subject. And I ask them to show me where it is written somewhere. I am learning as I go. Again Thanks for all your input.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 03-01-2012 19:08
Yup, we've all been there.
That's why you'll here alot on this forum "show me in writing where that's required" because people get something stuck in their head and they don't always know what their talking about.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Simple Question???