Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ok, time to hit the streets
- - By mcavana (**) Date 12-21-2002 23:18
Just graduated from Welding School, and about to start looking for and testing for a job. Question: is there anywere i can find a quick reference chart on amperage? I am afraid I will go into a test, and they will tell me to weld on pipe or plate that is a different thickness than i have welded before. Or perhaps a different size electrode. Is there a general chart that shows the amperage range for different thickness and electrodes? I don't think it would leave a good impresion if I have to ask the guy what amps the machine should be set at, or what wire speed a mig welder should be set at!!!! I need this info for stick, mig and tig. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

thanks!!!

mike
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 12-22-2002 00:03
Congrats on finishing school Mike, now YOU are one of the "pros" of the forum. What is this:

Merry Christmas.

Parent - - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 12-22-2002 23:07
well, sadly enough, not ONE welder is calibrated the same. you might be able to set a welder for what looks like 120 amps on the dial, but it might not feel or look like 120 amps when you're welding. and some welders don't even have any numbers on the dial...some are worn off from use, and some just have letters or lines for references. and another thing...ever welder has his/her own preference for heat settings. one welder likes to run his beads as hot as possible, the next welder likes to run it slow and easy. whatever works for you is what you need to set the machine on.

so, what you do is, before you weld on your test piece, you get some scrap pieces and throw them together to make a fillet weld in the position you'll be testing in. check out your bead and adjust the amps accordingly. if i'm gonna be doing a root pass, I usually try to adjust the amps kinda cold for a fillet weld. that should get me in the general amp range for the root.

yes, there are general amp ranges for different rods and rod thicknesses. i've found that w/ 7018 you can figure for each 1/32" of rod thickness there is a 30-50 amp difference if you're welding in 1 position. ie: 3/32 7018 is around 90 amps...1/8" 7018 is around 120-140 amps depending on what position you're in. 6010 is the same way. 3/32" 6010 is around 60-75 amps...1/8" 6010 is around 75-95 amps...a 15-20 amp difference.

don't worry about not knowing where to set the machine...if the employer is sensible, he/she will know that not all machines are created equal. they'll gladly show you the general position to put the knobs, and then you can fine tune them to where you'd like.

i'm not sure if you got any certs. if you did, you can use that as evidence to the employer that you CAN weld proficiently and that you're not just some joker off the street thinking he can jump right into it.

your text books should have some sort of quick reference charts in them.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 12-23-2002 15:16
When you get in the Test Booth, look around.

You just might notice some errant welds on all the fixtures, table legs or any thing else that was handy to the last visitors.
Parent - - By Ken Dougherty (**) Date 12-27-2002 20:00
Congrats on the graduation. Know where you are coming from about settings on equipment. When I got a job at a fabrication shop they set the machine up for me which was helpful, since as mentioned in another reply, each machine may be a bit different.

I too like having some general parameters to go by though. I found a card set that gives settings for stick, tig and mig on the Miller or Lincoln web site I think. They were inexpensive also.

Ken
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 01-02-2003 14:19
Any of the welding consumables mfgs. have general setting info listed. Check with ESAB, Lincoln, etc. They all have charts to get you in the neighborhood and then you can fine tune from there. Also check the WPS's of the place of employment giving the test, it too should have a range of settings for which you are welding. When I test someone here for employment as a welder with experience, I zero all the controls to see if the welder is familiar with setting up. Anyone who has been welding any length of time should be somewhat familiar with a SMAW machine and where to set it for a given size 7018 rod. At least to get started and then fine tune to get it to suit him. I furnish lots of scrap material and ample practicing or set up time. FCAW is tested the same way, if a welder is coming in and is gonna make top pay for that position, he's gonna know what he's doing. It's only fair to the other welders. I got off the subject, but check with ESAB and Lincoln to start with, they have PDF files that can be printed out with the info you are looking for about the ranges of settings.
Good Luck,
John Wright
Parent - By ROBO-WELD (*) Date 01-10-2003 22:16
Congrats Mike:
I use the "MIG calculators" from Miller for my robot welding students. Some of them don't have much background or training in choosing parameters. I have 2000 order form here with phone #920-751-2120, you want CALCULATORS / 3-Pac (mig,stick,tig)/ miller stock#043 573/ order#324-0935/ cost $4.00.. Like I said this is an old order form numbers may have changed,, bet Miller Website has this. Like the other guys said these are only starting parameters; you tweak to perfection.
Larry
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / ok, time to hit the streets