Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Ford 7.3?
- - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2012 03:24
I got a 2000 F250 pickup with the 7.3 diesel the other day. Truck is in XLNT shape with only 84K carfaxed verified miles. Sales man claims it is a highly sought after year and size.
Any feed back or is it just another gimmick pitch line.
So far all is pristine, tight and seems to be a good rig. Local owners only and has documented service records
Parent - - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 02-18-2012 04:26
Where is it??? I want it if you don't!!! LOL
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-18-2012 06:25
ibeweldingsum,

Har, Har... funny stuff.
Anyways, looks like it's a gonna do what I bought it for... haul stuff.. toys...
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 02-18-2012 21:15
The 7.3 is a good engine. I have a friend that has one in his tuck its a 2000 also. He has a cold air intake, Edge Juice and exhaust and he gets 25mpg empty and 18 pulling his toy hauler.

I am putting exhaust, EGR and cooler delete, cold air and H&S programer on my Cummins next weekend. I am very unhappy with the fuel mileage on my 2011Dodge and the DPF is already plugged up. Can't wait to see how much better it will do on fuel.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-19-2012 19:52
A friend of mine called me the other day because his PDF was clogged up. Do you know how much that damn PDF is to buy new. Right at $3000 bucks.
I used EFI live on my duramax. Didn't really gain any mileage, but let me tell you that sob will run like a raped ape. That h&s programmer is supposed to be real good. EFI live also has cummins programming now.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 02-19-2012 04:03
your a lucky man those are very good motors the best ford ever put in their trucks
Parent - By J Hall (***) Date 02-18-2012 10:14
I have an '01 and an '02.  Solid and dependable.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 02-18-2012 14:22
Hey John,

Most of the guys I know with the 7.3 have very little trouble with them. Most Cummins guys I know say(including me) "If they didn't have the Cummins I'd be a Ford 7.3 owner". I think a lot of the "sought after" is the 2000-2001 models as I think these models had the least amount of complaints, reported issues of any.

It's one of those things that makes you wonder. Ford said it dropped the 7.3 due to the expense of re-engineering it to meet EPA standards. So they introduced the 6.0 and 6.4L catastrophe and I often wonder how much money they spent on those boat anchors compared to upgrading the 7.3.

I think you found a winner right there, 84k it's like brand new still! It's not a pitch line, lots of guys looking for those trucks like you said the other day about the emissions stuff not being there plus they were ultra dependable.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-20-2012 02:35
Hey All,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I was in the prestages of "Buyer's Remorse".
Still haven't got'er out on the highway yet other than just cross town. But woof! whatta beast, this guy's gotta be 7-1/2 feet tall. Started snowing today and when I locked it in 4x4, it grips so hard, you can barely turn the wheels unless it's on ice or really deep snow. Almost feels like Detroit lockers.
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-20-2012 04:26
Do You think someone put a posi in the front ?
Parent - - By hillbilly delux (***) Date 02-20-2012 12:22
I had that same year model in a 350 dually. What a great truck and to find one with only 84k miles is a rare gem. That 7.3 of mine was the same way in 4wd you locked in the hubs and they were hooked up one of the best condfidence trucks I ever drove in the snow.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 02-27-2012 16:09
I sold a truck like you bought, and I get a bit teary eyed everytime I think about it....awesome truck.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-27-2012 20:29
So far, Im pleased with it. Still not been out on the open road. Sure hope the fuel consumption improves over the cross town guzzling. 
Took her out in a combination of snow drifts and 1' deep slimy bentonite muddy ruts. Fun times.. until the $20 bucks at the carwash to hose off frozen mud.
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 02-28-2012 03:11
I have a pair of them with 400,000mi +     an 00 and an 02   wouldn't trade them for a 6. Anything.   both of them regularly return 18mpg+  or better when driven slower.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Ford 7.3?