Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / An observation
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-19-2012 00:54 Edited 02-19-2012 00:57
Been noticing a considerable leap in the sale of military style arms that appears to stronger than the period leading up to the brady bill.
Hearing a lot of p**ed off people as well.

On the upside, most of the low capacity weapons are getting easy to find. I was able to get the pictured pistols for 900 total (what I had in the AR I had with me). They should have been more like 1,700 total, but the guy was hell bent on getting the AR I had at the gun show.

Anyone else observed or noted this?
Parent - - By weldwade (***) Date 02-19-2012 01:24
Nice score! I would have traded one of my AR's for the three pistols. I have a target model Ruger .22 that I love to plink with. I can't tell from the pic because im using my phone, what brand is the 1911? All three are nice looking pistols.
Parent - By RioCampo (***) Date 02-19-2012 01:26
I believe it is a taurus pt 1911
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-19-2012 01:47
They are as follows:
10" barrel target Ruger Mark II with rose wood grips
6.9" barrel competition slab side with factory target grips
Taurus PT1911 .45 with black pearl grips.

The AR was a 24" HBAR target with douglas barrel and timney dual stage trigger.
I had 900 in it.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 02-19-2012 05:52
I don't know what those Rugers cost, but in '74 when I got My 5 1/2" bull barrel MkI they were not an expensive pistol, but shot well.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-19-2012 21:16
A perusal of gunbroker.com will give you an idea of what they sale for now.
Parent - By rlitman (***) Date 02-22-2012 03:44
They've appreciated in value well.  Especially since IMHO they're much better than the Mark III.
When they came out, they were nothing fancy.  They haven't changed much, but time has earned them a well deserved and very solid reputation.

That slab side is quite nice.  I've got a similar one, in a round barrel, but made my own walnut grips to suit my fingers.
- - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-19-2012 01:51
In all, it spoke for the general attitude at the show. I could have armed up with 6 shooters, bolt, lever actions etc for dirt cheap, it was a buyers market like I had never seen for that.
Semi Auto's were another story. It was a sellers market big time for those. Of note, I watched one individual walk out of the show with 30 AR carbine kits.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 02-19-2012 23:19 Edited 02-20-2012 03:00
Those look like a lot of fun Gerald!  Excellent looking condition.  Yea end of the world sentiment makes semi auto/full auto rifles sell quick...not sure I will buy in to the 5.56 .223 crowd...shoots great but....7.62 seems like it will be way more plentiful push comes to shove.  Maybe an ak properly worked over is the ticket.  I wish you could get the MK2 or Mk3 in a mag but I have not ever seen one.  They are outstanding for accuracy and fun.  Friend of mine has a MKII and I love supplying him ammo.  The Taurus is a solid 1911, I have seen a few dressed out that made me drool.  Maybe I need to visit the next gun show and see what happens...I want to get the wife a .357 mag with a long barrel.  Probably going to try to make a deal on a redhawk.  She just does not like handling my semi autos....so I figure a solid revolver with some speed loaders and all is well.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / An observation