Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Anyone ever contract CWI in UK/Scotland?
- - By supermoto (***) Date 02-19-2012 03:26
I have an offer that seems to good to be true as a CWI in Scotland/UK from a company called Wood Group.  I say its to good to be true because there are sooo many financial benefits and great experiences and no negatives to taking this position.  Going from structural steel and military vehicle industry to the Oil/Gas industry will be a great experience and getting to enjoy a large part of Europe!!!!

I did a contract in Iraq as a CWI/QC Sept.2010 to April 2011 and first thought that was too good to be true because the money was so good and I had never heard of anyone working for the military and making Six figures in a year.  It worked out, I wasn’t there to make six figures but it was still really good.

Just wondering if anyone has ever worked in Scotland/UK or know of anyone that has worked for this company.

Thanks in advance
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-19-2012 14:22
What amazes me is that in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland there are no sufficient CWI's and they (the CWI) must be recruited abroad.

Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 02-19-2012 21:18
The CSWIP 3.2 and CWI types that are out of those areas typically look for overseas work to get out from underneath some of the more draconian tax laws. It is not surprising that there is a shortage of qualified certified personnel there given that.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 02-20-2012 00:17
Interesting.  Thanks
Parent - - By ozniek (***) Date 02-20-2012 13:38
Hi

Wood Group is a very big project engineering company operating all over the world. They do quite a lot of work here in OZ. I think they are as good to work for as any of the other large project management companies. They are reputable, so they will pay what they promise. I can not say anything about the tax implications, but it is true that we have quite a lot of CWI's from the UK working here in OZ. Some of them live in Thailand and perform fly-in fly-out (FIFO) jobs in OZ. This gives them the advantage of the high salaries associated with FIFO in Australia with the low cost of living in Asia.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 02-20-2012 13:48
Niekie,
I confess my ignorance. What does OZ mean? Perhaps the name of a country? Or a region?
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By ozniek (***) Date 02-20-2012 14:04
Hi Prof

Just the locals' way of saying Australia.

Regards
Niekie
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 02-21-2012 01:45
That helps a lot. Thanks for the confidence booster!!!  Hopefully everything goes well because I would love to make this move!!!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 02-21-2012 06:59
The UK.. Aussie, Scottland, Canada, has so much going for them these days, that they are having to recruit for professionals where ever they can.
GO FOR IT!
British Petroleum and British Gas have more on their plate than they can handle right now.
trust me... I know this for a fact...
If i may add some advice...
If this offer sounds too good to believe... Try your negotiation skills.. You might be suprised!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - - By nantong (**) Date 02-21-2012 10:54
Sorry but i think you have been misinformed. scotland is not the land.of milk and honey. look east
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 03-01-2012 01:06
Well after almost sending $1500 and a lot of research that I was almost scammed.  The position was too good to be true!!!!!

If you are offered a position and they pay a high salary and paying for everything and then they ask for you to buy some travelers insurance and after many attempts I was denied by western union.  They advised me that this was most likely a scam as they couldn’t contact the business.

I feel really stupid, but there was a lot of effort going back and forth with about 30 emails and forms, and a lot of information from both parties just for a small $1500.

Oh well, It its too good to be true then it probably is!!!!!!
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 03-01-2012 16:12
I received an unsolicited inquiry to work overseas for a company I had never heard of. That isn’t so surprising, but I got suspicious very quickly when they started asking for money up front for things like the telephone, electricity, my passport (they actually wanted the passport, not just a photo), and a few other things. This was well before the events of 911, but still their requests seems strange considering all they had asked for up to that point was a copy of my resume.

I placed a call to the local FBI office. They said there was evidence the company had links to a known terrorist group and the reason they wanted the passport was so they could alter it and sneak someone into the US. The up-front money was to finance their organization. It was one phone call I was very happy to have made!

Best regards - Al
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 03-02-2012 03:46
Sorry it didn't pan out Supermoto. Never worked there
but did  visit Edinbrough while building a nuke in England.
Nice place.
I saw that the Mox plant in Aiken is looking for several inspectors
on Roadtechs... If you are still looking.
Parent - - By Len Andersen (***) Date 03-02-2012 20:16
Ladies and Gentlemen,
     I am a CWI graduate engineer and sorry you got burnt. My background is petroleum and my first job with a foreign company outside the USA was over 40 years ago. I regularly get such "job offers". Know people do get burnt. Two thoughts that come to mind please follow up with contacting the Justice Department USA and if you found out overseas there might have been gun up against your head! I hope this is helpful.
Sincerely
Len Andersen weld@spemail.org
914-536-7101 , 212-839-6599 8-4 New York Time , 914-237-7689 (H) www.lenandersen.com
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 03-03-2012 00:51
Thanks

I was hoping for a chance to get good money and not be in a warzone.

Most of all I want the experience inspecting in an industry other then structural steel and military vehicles. My goal is API or ASME experience.
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 03-03-2012 07:30
Well dude, you just might have to start at the bottom.
Don't know if you've done the "Zone thing" yet, but it's cake duty professionally speaking.
Do you have any ASME/API experience?
I know folks in Theater as CWIs, but most of them come from D1.1 background and are "deer in the headlights" when I try to talk about pressure stuff to them.
Feel free to PM or email me, and I'll try to steer you in the right direction.
Was talking to a Scottish colleague today about a gig in Scottland.........
Parent - By Joey (***) Date 03-08-2012 02:33
I agree with Superflux that you must start at the bottom.
How to start? work for contractor as QC, or work as NDT techn in refinery / petrochemical plant.
You must be able to enter the plant and work, that will be the starting point.

~Joey~
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Anyone ever contract CWI in UK/Scotland?