Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weaving as per AWS D1.1
- - By akilan Date 12-22-2002 13:35
Is their any weaving width limitation for welding Carbon steel material
as per AWS D 1.1. We are welding statically loaded structures.

Appreciate any expert opinion.
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 12-23-2002 01:44
Based on my 98 D1.1

1) For prequalified joints there are bead width limitations in table 3.7 for GMAW/FCAW and SAW. 5/8" for flat, Horiz and Ovhd and 1" for vertical.

2) If a procedure is qualified by testing ,there are variables for heat input when required by contract.

3) Also, an increase or decrease in the number of passes by 25% would require requalification for WPS's requiring PQR's

In general, any applications in which impact testing is required would prohibit practices that affect heat input. Any welding on High Strength Low Alloy steels that have been quenched and tempered should be monitored for excess heat input since the damage done is not detectable by most NDT processes used to inspect completed welds.

If there are other restrictions, I don't know them and look forward to being increased with knowledge :)

G Austin

Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-23-2002 14:18
I haven't seen anything in D1.1 that limits the width of weaving on weld passes. However, as pipewelder pointed out, there are limitations on maximum bead width, heat input, and number of passes used to fill a joint. So, then, you could say, weave as much as you want as long as you stay with those aspects of the code and any others that might apply.
CHGuilford
Parent - - By Niekie3 (***) Date 12-25-2002 18:56
Surely bead width would pretty much be the same as weave width? (You can not weave wider than the bead width.)

Or am I missing something here?

Regards and a happy christmas to all.

Niekie Jooste
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 12-26-2002 11:08
Limitations on the bead width don't automatically mean that weaving was necessary. It's possible to get wide beads with some processes and electrode sizes. On the other hand, if using smaller electrodes, it's possible that one would need a weave to get the maximum bead width but would need to exceed the 2.5x the electode diameter limit commonly (mis)applied from the ASME codes. Normally if you're running stringer beads the maximum width limitation is not a problem, but some people like to get fancy with their technique. D1.1 gives latitude here as long as code provisions are met.
CHGuilford
Parent - By Daon (*) Date 12-26-2002 18:21
Many times the rule of thumb is a maximum 7 times the electrode width (vertical welding). I salute any AWS type shop that moniters amps or maximum heat input.
Daon
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / weaving as per AWS D1.1